Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2002 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Dear all, Can you help? Several exit doors on our site are exposed and can be subjected to potentialy severe winds making the doors difficult to open/close and potentially dangerous. We have self closures and strong doors but cannot fit sliding or inward opening doors due to fire regs. We have looked at installing a porch around all doors but this is an expensive option, before I insist on this route I need to ensure that it is the most effective way. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks in anticipation Andy.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2002 12:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Andy, Where are you? In the Western and Northern Isles we know a thing or two about severe weather. We have regular winter weather when it gets a bit breezy, with wind speeds gusting at around 100mph. Every few years we have a bit of a blow when close on 120mph may be recorded. We would normally expect gales on one day in three over the winter... Damage and is usually slight and injury uncommon, as this weather is normal. We use heavy duty doors with heavy duty closers, and get used to the fact that we might have to spend an extra moment or two opening a door against a closer which is set to damp sudden movement. Premises managers know which doors could present a hazard under certain conditions and simply close them for emergency use only where alternatives are available. A more unusual (nationally, but common here), traditional feature is the use of split doors. A 3 foot doorway fitted with a pair of 18inch doors, only one of which is normally open, and a second , single door just 2 feet inside. A non starter for modern fire regs and not great for my 20 stone frame, but I thought I would throw it in for interest. John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2002 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Hi John, Thanks for your reply. My company is based in North Wales, and similar to yourselves we are prone to gales during the winter months (particularly severe last winter). We have no real alternative entrances. Just two for the one builiding. Can you provide details of these heavy duty self closures. My engineer has assured me that we have installed the strongest available (locally?) but they may not be the most appropriate. Thanks again for the reply. Regards Andy
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2002 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Hi, Andy. Having had similar problems in other areas of the world, consideration was given to the weather patterns and wind direction. Often wind is associated with on-coming chang in weather, and so wind direction e.g it may predominantly blow from a certain direction when weather is coming in, rather than the other way !! In this case you can pay attention to which side the door is hinged, so that wind, if it is predominantly from a certain direction, can be used as an aid to opening the door, rather than as a force against it, and with simple locking mechanisms to prevent the door flying back. In addition, the use of wind breaks outside doors is common in such areas, with timber posts and timber planks staggered (inside and ouside posts) to form a wind-break in very exposed conditions or a simple 'tunnel' of posts and wiggly tin to shelter the door from the stronger elements. Hope this helps... Stuart Nagle