Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2002 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Taylor
Can any tell me a prefered method or legal method of passing findings onto employees from risk assessment.I have recently conducted VDE assessments is it practicable to verify to a person verbaly for the purpose of the regulations they are a user or must this be in writing

Regards John Taylor
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2002 21:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
I am assuming that VDE stands for Video Display Equipment and that you are refering to the regulatory 'option' for categorising computer (DSE) workers as 'users' or 'non-users' according to whether they fit the suggested criteria - forgive me if my assumption is incorrect.

I do not believe there is a specific requirement or expectation that the 'user' requires written notification of their categorisation. The categorisation is really only for the employer; the employee, if she/he is categorised as a 'user', should then be automatically and formally informed by virtue of becoming involved in the information, training and assessment stages that necessarily (should) follow.

It is perhaps more likely that those categorised as 'non-users' might want formal notification and to know why, and when their DSE status might be re-evaluated. This re-evaluation aspect might raise the question of what is to be gained - or more likely, what problems will be created - by establishing a two-tier computer-using workforce - the haves and the have-nots?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2002 21:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
It's a shame you can't read the question when posting a reply - as a result I may have not have answered (above)the question you posed.

Anyway, having done the assessment there is a legal requirement to take reasonably practicable measures to reduce or eliminate the identified risks. However, the system you use for taking action following assessment is up to you (the employer). Provided you believe it to be a reasonable and effective system, that is all that is really required.

One preferred method is to agree the assessment with the assessed individual and to have both assessor and assessee signatures to that effect (with date). A copy of the form is retained by the assessee, and this should also indicate the considered risk level and some estimate as to the timescale for action to be completed (possibly also with the name of the person responsible for taking that action).

In this way the interested and affected party can shake the system if things are taking a bit too long, as they often and quite understandably do.