Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2002 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Jackson Anyone know of any special precautions relating to the proximity of Argon bulk tanks to buildings? I know that an LPG can't be put within x-meters of a building but I've never come across anything like this relating to Argon. Any pointers appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2002 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I think you will find that regulations relating to siting of LPG tanks are fire precaution related. There is no similar fire hazard with argon as it is an inert gas.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2002 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees Adam, I agree with the previous response, however, you may want to contact your supplier to discuss this issue. I had similar worries with our bulk supply and BOC were very helpful. It actually turned out, after them and us doing some simple calculations (well, mine were), that extra pressure relief valves and oxygen monitoring sensors were required, as we had the potential to dump 6m3 of liquid argon into our factory in (potentially) less than 2 hours. What was really scary was that this had the potential to displace ambient air to a height of 2.5m from floor level! At the time we were not operating 24/7, so there was a significant risk that the first man in on the Monday morning to unlock was walking into an oxygen deficient atmosphere. If you want any further information e-mail me and ask away! Pete