Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2002 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Maycock
I work for a large Authority with 14,500 employees and have found the demands of Heads of Service wanting more and more information regarding the above, which is a good position to take and the benefits if the statistics produced are acted upon has its own rewards.

My concerns are that just to meet RIDDOR and record near misses for employees and visitors in relation to our work undertaking etc. requires a full time clerical to meet this function.

We have now been requested to input data of accidents and incidents not related to our working activities from places such as leisure centres and community centres. This can run to serveral hundred in a 12mth. period.

I argue that such incidents shoud be recorded but should be managed by the relevant premise managers and quarterly reports sent to the Safety section for us to collate and report back to Chief Officers in the approiate format. I would welcome any veiws or procedures that you have adopted.

Regards

Tom
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2002 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton
Hi. I too work in local authority. socal work department. You are correct in your view that it is almost a full time job. for example we record every incident fall etc. of elderly residents. depending on frailty 1 can fall several times a day. We have developed a PC system which allows each area to input their own data. However, this must be signed off by the safety officer..yep me! we do not put non work related incidents into our annual reports or stats. With regard to violence to staff or clients. we use an ACCESS data base and record these seperately in our department. Only those falling into the reportable catagory are passed on for inclusion in the council wide stats..I have problems with this as it hides the true figures of violence at work. Particularly as VAW is high and become more so on the HSE agenda. Not sure if this helps you..and I agree with your point..why gather if we dont use the information.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2002 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Maycock
David

Thanks for your response.

Tom