Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2002 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Fergusson
I am looking to produce a guidance sheet to help farms comply with Health & Safety, I have already got some information from the HSE but wondered if anyone else had carried out this project before, or had information or support that I could use.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2002 00:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan
Dear A

An early edition of Newswire carried a series of articles on farm safety. Check it out on this link;

http://www.web-safety.co...wire_body_text_jun00.htm

Good luck,

Ciaran
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2002 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Fergusson
Thank Ciaran a very useful link.

Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2002 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Presumably you have a full set of the HSE free Agricultural Information Sheets and the other publications listed in their catalogue. I would also try talking to their National Interest Group who may be aware of other sources of guidance.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2002 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Huckle
We have used the free HSE publication Farmwise (MISC 165) as a starting point in raising awareness amongst our farm staff. There is a fair bit of useful infromation.

Chris
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2002 14:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Beaumont
One size does definitely not fit all.
Are we dealing with a family livestock farm in the west or an all arable farm in East Anglia?
Is it mechanised or does it rely on contractors for machinery?
Farmwise is a useful book if it fits your farm
The real problem with farm safety is the one man band who has not got another pair of hands,or even a third hand, to help at critical times.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2002 18:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Tucker
Hi
I'm one of the instructors on the H.S.E.'s
(FARM WISE ROAD SHOWS)
The organiser is Dave Gould (Nottingham H.S.E. office)(0115 9712800) He may be worth a call to determin the areas that the accident statistics show need addressing.
On the road shows we cover
falls fom height
pestisides
manual handling
telliscopic handlers
p.t.o's
entangelments( with say blockages)
quad bikes
animal handling
hitching and unhitching equipment
etc.
All the above are in the MAJOR INGUARY CAT. that the H.S.E. are conserned about.

As you seam to be covering a broad cross section of farms there does not appear to be a simple answer, but on the 'Events' the feeling that we (the instructors ) get is that the main causes of accidents are-
phycoligical (?) (it won't happen to me)
lack of finance to do maintainance
ignorance
lack of time
hope this is helpfull
feel free to E-mail with any spesific conserns.
cheers
Jerry