Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2002 09:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By D Adam
We have some old offices which have fluorescent lighting with prismatic diffusers. Do these have to be changed out for Cat 2 diffusers. These offices are primarily used by VDU users.

If they have to be changed - could you tell me what legislation - states this?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2002 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I think the answer is 'not necessarily'. Cat 2 luminaires are a means of seeking to comply with DSE Regs requirements to avoid glare, adverse visual conditions from nearby workstations, etc. So if an assessment establishes that improvements are needed in this area Cat 2 may well be a solution.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2002 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
Just to throw a spanner in the works, we have a mixture of CAT1 & CAT2 lighting in our offices, and although CAT2 was allegedly designed to cut down on glare etc. for DSE users, I was amazed at how many people still preferred the old style CAT1 lighting, as they said that CAT2 gave off a harsher light.

As far as I am aware, both Linear and recessed prismatic lighting are still acceptable in offices, providing that they do not cause any undue glare to DSE users.

When carrying out a risk assessment on the office environment, MHSW Regs 1992 state that employers must assess possible risks in the workplace. This also covers lighting.

Therefore, I would suggest that you also consult with DSE users to see whether they have any undue problems with the lighting that is currently in place before making any decisions on changing the light units/ diffusers - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Finally, another thing to consider is the colour of the walls etc., as this can have a significant bearing on the amount of glare from both natural (primary) light and artificial (secondary) light. What would have the greater efect, changing the lighting, or painting the walls/ ceiling a pastel colour which may absorb some of the glare? Some of the worst offices that I have come across are ones where the walls are painted white, or a very pale yellow.

Regards,

Nick.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2002 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin
The HSE publication HSG 38 - Lighting at Work would probably prove useful. Also check out the Display Screen Equipment Regs and the Workplace Regs give other references such as some by the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, which may answer your specific query.