Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2002 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William O'Donnell
Hi everyone,
I wonder if you could help me with a question which has been put to me recently.
Are there any circumstances in which the issuer, and acceptor, of a permit to work can be the same person (issuing a permit to yourself) Would such a permit be acceptable to the enforcing authorities? Is it a legal requirement to display the permit at the place of work? Is it also a legal requirement to have a specific time scale on the permit (a start and finish time for the work)?
I would be grateful for any response you may be able to give on this matter
Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2002 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
The answer to each of your 4 questions is 'No', but that's not the end of it.

1. Self-issue is self-defeating.

2. The enforcing authority taking a view on it, and the system generally, is statistically likely to happen only after something has gone wrong. In which case it may be found that the system didn't work as it should.

3. Open-ended, or even long-duration, permits are not a good idea in my experience, as systems require tight specification of the work and precautions in order to be successful and the longer the period the less likely this will be achieved. Maybe there isn't really a need for a permit at all, and some other control method might be more appropriate. I believe that the credibility of such a system depends on it being seen as appropriate and necessary, and followed without deviation.

4. It isn't a legal requirement to display the permit - but that's not really the point. It is good practice, and you will find this mentioned in all commentaries and codes, or some minor variation on the theme.

Others may disagree with the above personal views, but I hope they help.

Allan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2002 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William O'Donnell
Thank you Allan for your quick response to my queries. Your comments reinforce my own view on this subject, which I have taken from the HSE's guidance on permits to work.
I will be interested to see if there are any conflicting opions out there.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2002 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard
Just to add my voice to Allan's. I was once asked to look at a premises, and I noticed that they were using a propane burner on the roof. When I asked if they had been issued with a PTW I was told that they had issued their own! Needless to say the reason I noticed them was because of the way they were working.

On the other other point I invariably put a time limit on a PTW, and expect work to stop once it runs out. I do not renew without a full investigation as to the reasons such a renewal is necesary. If you do not rigidly enforce a PTW there is no point in issuing one

Richard