Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2002 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Addison
I have inherited a huge number of induction lists regarding employees attendance at my organisations "health & Safety" induction day. This is a mandatory requirement for all staff first being employed. How long do I need to keep them for ?
Some go back 10 years or more !
Any advice gratefully received
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2002 21:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman
Nigel,

I would suggest that proof of attendance at any training should be kept on an employees HR file, and that any lists of personnel trained should only be used for planning refresher or additional training.

Regards

Mark
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2002 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard
If any of this training has covered recognition of, or action on discovering, asbestos, I suggest keeping the records at least thirty years!

Richard
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2002 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams
My organisation currently being sued by an ex employee for an alleged manual handling injury of which there is no record. (accident book entry etc.)Unfortunately we do not have records which would clearly show provision of information instruction and training etc. Would therefore recomend they are kept for a long time in order to protect against potential future litigation which can only increase!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2002 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Addison
Thanks for the responses. They were as I suspected.

Regards

Nigel Addison
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2002 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Well, you could firm up on that 'for a long time' if you wanted to. As stated, this is really likely to be about defence against civil claims of various kinds based on the "I knew nuttin'" line of attack, and as the statute of limitation runs out three years after the incident (or knowledge of a potential for a claim), you could safely set a limit of five years i.e. chuck out pre-1997 data. However, the point made about asbestos is absolutely spot on, so fillet out any sessions where asbestos exposure was discussed and save them separately!

You may like to think about computerising your records of this type to save space. There are plenty of software products out the that will do this for you if you don't like the idea of DIY using Excel or similar. A good relational database will also do all you need and will be a lot cheaper than 'safety special' software.

Allan