Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2002 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles Ferguson
I am putting together an awareness session on CDM for departments within our organisation who procure construction work.

As part of the presentation I would like to refer to recent prosecutions, improvement notices and prohibition notices to give the session a current real life relevance and also to provide examples of how not to fall foul to similar.

Can anyone provide either detail of recent notices/prosecutions (especially if it relates to a local authority) or details of good web sites where I can find the information myself.

Thanks for any help given.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2002 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Meredith
Hi Charles.

A good web site to start at is the HSE enforcement site at http://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/index.htm

Regards

James Meredith
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2002 16:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Thomas
Charles

To start, how about '£20,000.00 fine for Planning Supervisor and £40,000.00 fine and costs of £25,000.00 for the principal contractor. These related to a 5000 tonne asbestos contaminated spoil heap on a 42 acre development site!
Client fined £20,000.00 for failing to ensure that the construction phase of the project did not commence before the preparation of a Health and Safety Plan, resulting in asbestos being illegally removed and site contamination.
Designer fined £40,000.00 due to a poorly designed latching device that led to the death of a steel erector.
Principal Contractor fined £20,000.00 when a trench collapse caused injury to a subcontractor and at the same site a fatality occurred, the risks not being adequately covered in the health and safety plan.
Hope this is of assistance, if you need, contact me and I'll send you the details and a useful summary of prosecutions relating to CDM.

Regards

Rob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2002 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles Ferguson
James and Rob thanks for your help.

Charles