Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2002 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Clarke MIOSH, MIIRSM
I am looking to introduce safety initiatives that actually work, if you have experience of ones you have introduced at your place of work and they went well can you let me know please. Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2002 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede
I have been involved with or tried many. Rewards such as Fish & Chip suppers to all the staff of a accident free site, reward schemes for safety ideas and trying innovative posters etc. All have had good start offs but sooner or later they get forgotten or the managers forget to give a reward so the initiative gets a bad name.

At the end of the day what works for me is communication, communication and communication. In particular if something has worked particularly well or someone has achieved a good result you tell the people involved and their colleagues and their boss.

So the a safety initiative for me is a means to get a headline in the staff mag or draw attention to a particular issue until something else becomes flavour of the month.

Cynical perhaps, effective yes.