Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2002 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Yosief The stringent marking strategy of Nebosh is rather unflexible... Should a person with a mark of 6-6-3 be a fail? 6 is for 49%<45% and 3 is for 75%<70% there for a person who got 49%,49%,75% in the three papers respectively is a FAIL. With a subjective marking strategy because the of the nature of the test being open questions how can a marker be certain that the student got 49% and not 48% or 50%.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2002 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Yosief, NEBOSH have marking schemes which aim to eliminate subjectivity: each examiner works to the same marking scheme so for each question they know exactly what they can award marks for. If you are concerned you can always phone NEBOSH and discuss it with them.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2002 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calum Cameron Tech SP Diane, Discuss it with NEBOSH?????????? Have you ever tried to get a straight answer out of NEBOSH. They are a nightmare to try and get any usefull information out of. The bottom line is that NEBOSH are incredibly inflexible in thier marking and from what i hear,the examiners make thier own decisions to a certain degree. This is where problems in consistency could arise. It is a known problem that i know they do try to improve. Better luck next time!!!!!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2002 17:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Ooops! I seem to have touched a nerve! I only mentioned the marking scheme because last year when I was at a revision session where the tutor was a former NEBOSH examiner, he described the marking scheme system, and gave us examples of "suggested" marking schemes for specific questions (not real ones because these are confidential to NEBOSH.) The points for which marks were awarded were clearly set out; there were more marks available than the total marks for the question, thus giving the examiners flexibility; and there are discretionary marks available to the examiners so they can award marks for valid points not included in the marking scheme - more flexibility. It seemed fair to me.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2002 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Yosief Subject: Neybosh and markings- the culprit Diane, thanks for responding to my message and appologise for not responding promptly. I have not been able to get any joy from Nebosh - you could take this as a case study and perhaps Nebosh office is nearer to Leicester. May be you can help. regards, Yosief