Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2002 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Does anyone know of any good practical demonstrations for manual handling training, i'm having real difficulty coming up with some.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 September 2002 06:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie
I have found these useful.

To demonstrate the importance of keeping the load as close to the body as possible I use a wooden rod about a metre long with a rope attached to one end, slightly shorter than the rod, and a small container of water, about half to one litre attached to the rope end. I ask each participant to hold the lower end of the rod vertical with one hand so that the weight is in contact with their hand. They find this easy. Then lower the rod so that the weight moves away from their hand. This causes increasing discomfort in the wrist which I equate to increasing strain on the lumbar spine when a load is held at a distance. It is important that the weight is not too heavy and obviously anyone with a hand/wrist disorder should use their good hand or abstain.

To demonstrate the importance of maintaining a stable base I ask the participants to stand up in pairs with their feet together and to push gently on each others' shoulders. They soon feel unstable. Then repeat this but with their feet apart - they feel much more stable and less liable to go off balance. Again, anyone with a health problem such as vertigo should not attemt this.

Actually demonstrating and practising manual handling techniques in a training room is not always very successful especially if the environment and general circumstances are significantly different from real life. My general feeling is that the training room is fine for the theory but practical training is best done on the job.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 September 2002 19:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion
I have a "little man" which when used shows the spine "opens" when lifting poorly.

Paid about £70 for it, I use it in 'manual handling training' - I talk, advise, explain and then bring this out - it does look a bit rude - but it gets results and many have said it has a big effect, I wil look for the information on where to purchase it - e-mail me direct
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2002 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan
Ian

Have a look at IOSH News Centre http://www.iosh.co.uk/ne...play_news.cfm?NewsID=147

There is a lot of good 'Back in Work Material' - produced as part of a Back in Work project run jointly by NSK Europe Ltd, Loughborough University, Newark Hospital and the EEF East Midlands Region.

Have a look at the towels2.ppt

Best wishes

Ciaran
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2002 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By wendy macdonald
I always start my course off by putting a peice of paper and pen under each chair. Following my introduction to the course I then ask each delegate to get the paper and pen then write down how they think safe lifting should be carried out. Once done they they pass paper around to another person and each read out what has been wrote down - normally things will have been put down about bending knees, keeping back straight, loads close, checking weights etc. I write all of their comments onto a flip chart and then pin it to the wall for the course. Then I ask each of them how they got the paper from under the chair!
I find this an excellent ice breaker and really makes the point. I now concentrate alot more on spinal awareness and biomechanics in my course as most people know how to lift correctly but dont do it - if you can get poeple to understand why they need to lift corrcetly then it may make them actually do it!
Good Luck!