Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2002 23:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel
Hi,
Looking for advice really...
I have had a few dizzy attacks in work and nearly fainted. My doctor signed me off with 'exhaustion' and took tests of my blood coming back saying that I am anemic. Whilst being signed off work, I have been given an appointment with Occupational Health. Can you please help/explain what will happen to me?

Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2002 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia
Your company may well have a formal policy for it's OH service to check out certain ill-health incidents, or if you have an in-house OHN they may follow such a policy almost routinely. Your manager could also have asked for them to check this out. Some have sickness absence related policies which kick-in almost automatically.
OH investigations should just be to establish whether the health problems you experienced are in any way work-related (a bit like investigating an 'accident'). Also, whether or not work-caused, to establish if work could add to your problems, or will your work be affected by your condition?
It should not be any form of threat, (I get the feeling you feel anxious) although I do not know what your company policy is, so go along and see what happens.
It SHOULD be to your benefit - your employer cares - but if you feel you are being manipulated or pressured, contact your union for a second opinion. You have the right to maintain your medical confidentiality, (your manager, for example, is not supposed to have any more details than you have given here, with any work-related advice which OH may add). You can also talk to your GP about your concerns and any implications. Hope this helps.