Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2002 06:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant
Hello there, looking for a little help on a course I am putting together on the subject of building aluminium towers, what I need is some information to put together some case studies of accidents ivolving towers caused due to bad practices, which I want to include in my training pack. Can anyone help of point me in the right direction?
Many Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2002 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley
Graham,

Have a look at the Safeguard system produced by Turner Access - www.turner-access.co.uk,

I think you might find it interesting.

Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2002 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
I assume you have HSE CIS No.10?

Also try the big hire firms - I can't remember who (might be HSS) sent me some very good leaflets on the subject.

Also all the aluminium tower manufacturers (I've seen) have very good documentation. They have an association - you should find it with a search engine.

I've made some inspection check sheets etc - e-mail me if you want them.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2002 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Graham,

1. SGB produced a good video to promote their BOSS system.

2. The association is PASMA, the Prefabricated Aluminium Scaffold Manufacturers Association.

3. Example accidents requested (sorry no photos etc)

(a) Painter working inside college, wheels not locked. Pushed against wall resulting in scaffold moving and gap opening up. Fell 2.008m (inclusive of the 8mm thick platform) - sustained serious head injuries.

(b) Scaffold about 9m high tied to building. Tie removed to facilitate scaffold being moved. Scaffold collapsed falling across pavement and jutting into town centre street about 10 minutes before bulk pedestrian traffic to nearby school. PASMA booklet would indicate need for partial dismantling before removal.

(c) The classic. Scaffold inside church about 6m high moved whilst tow men still on platform. Overturned. Injuries less than might have been expected.

Hope this helps.

Peter