Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
To reassure yourself that your problems are by no means unique; have a look at this amusing definition of a H&S professional, I found on a USA web site. Incidentally, browse the site there is some good stuff on it.

http://www.safteng.net/Safety%20Proffesional.htm
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2002 00:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood
Yea, Yea, boring! I am sure everyone has been here and the real challenge is what that person is doing about it! The sample I have looked at shows that few are bothered about spelling, grammar or even basic understanding! What about competence? Does this include the ability to communicate effectively? Certainly, some of the Chat lines I have read turn me off and others (most) represent effective meaning and understanding. We should be experts at communication and if we feel we are short of necessary skills, we should learn them and post CPD accordingly. You know, it is often said that the British are the only Nation that knocks themselves! This is typical, transported across the Atlantic!

Lets try and be a little positive about ourselves and believe we can make that difference!

Lets try harder!

George
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2002 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
FAO George,

You have obviously lost that essential H&S requirement, a sense of humour.
Their is nuthing rong with mi spellin and grammer?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2002 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
George, I'm beginning to worry about you tapping away at all hours. Get yourself an early night and it will all seem better in the morning.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2002 18:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Murdy
George - its probably worth remembering that you are not alone in wanting to see better recognition for the proffession. Too often you see safety professionals ignored and marginalised by those around them and so they draw back into their shells.

We are doing a job that is necessary and valuable. Every 'pointless' piece of paper we produce may just prevent someone getting killed - even though in risk terms it is highly unlikely.

BUT we do need to retain a sense of humour and you know what I'm saying, George. Give yourself a break because you know you are making a difference!
Andy