Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2002 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Dear all,

I am considering membership of the British Safety Council as a means to really push an improvement in our H&S systems.

I would not risk the wrath of the moderators and ask people to comment specifically, but I will ask for a little advice.

Is the BSC a good way to acheive change?
Does anyone have any experience with them?
Which audit, five star or OSHAS 18001 compliance?
Would you wait until you had most systems in place before paying for an audit or use the first as a benchmark?

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks in advance

Andrew.

Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2002 19:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
If you are genuinely referring to the UK 'Revitalising' plan, one of the key points is that you CAN'T tackle everything at once - so HSC/E have identified 8 national priority areas. Therefore a way to start is to decide which of these apply to your enterprise, and do something about managing those areas first. HSE have now published lots of guidance about good practices in the 5 hazard areas, so you can use an internal team or Focus Group to benchmark against that without the expense of an external audit.

Using a formal management system when you don't have much in place tends to result in a long list with no real prioritisation. Using external auditors right from the start often leads to a pass/fail attitude to audits, rather than continuous improvement which is the real secret of effective management systems.

Again, you can use an internal team to 'map' the systems you have in place against a recognised standard, such as 18001. BSI publish a very helpful reference called 'Managing Safety the Systems Way' which shows how a system could apply for six typical smallish businesses.

Within the next few months IOSH expects to publish practical guidance on choosing an OSHMS, with ideas on how to implement and adapt it for your situation. It also shows how many of the recognised standards are in fact very similar. No fixed publication date - but there will be lots of publicity when it's ready (it's at pre-print draft stage right now).
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2002 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Ian,

To confirm that I was 'coining a phrase' when I reffered to revitlising, however, it is the right phrase to use.

Our company has made some improvements in the last two years but I wish to keep this going.

Also I wish to ensure that the most basic requirements (including simple policy documents etc) have been met.

I did not add that although I may have board support for this, I do not have the appropriate technical support available.

This situation calls for either using consultants or an organisation such at the BSC/Rospa etc.

I want/need help to push our SMS along, carry out thorough, in depth audits and provide the appropriate amount of advice and assitance when necessary.

Would the BSC be the right organisation to go to?

You mention the negatives of auditing, perhaps a days benchmarking audit would be a good starting point. This would highlight any key areas that could be solved prior to a full audit.

Many thanks for you reply.

Regards

Andrew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2002 19:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
Andy,
A true audit involves understanding the types of hazard the organisation faces and checking that the controls for these are effective in reducing risk to an acceptably low level.

Good auditors nwill collect and evaluate sample evidence from documents, interviews at all levels and workplace observations. It is very unlikely this could be done in a day unless the organisation is tiny.

From your response it seems you are determined to call on external help. Are you doing this because you expect them to identify issues you have missed internally, or reinforce the messages you are already giving and priorities you have set? Do you want a compliance audit (e.g. have we missed any key legislation?) or one aimed at helping the organisation to reduce risk exposure with business excellence in mind?

If you can answer these sorts of question, you should be able to find a commercial audit organisation which will meet your needs.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2002 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Many thanks to everyone that has responded to this thread, both on the forum and directly.

Regards

Andrew