Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2002 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah Bessey
We have several employees who travel abroad on company business. For long haul flights, they have a driver to take/collect them from the airports, however, we do have several people who fly to Europe and return on the same day and prefer to take their own (company) cars. This obviously results in a long day and employees driving when extremely tired.
I am about to write a new travel policy to reduce this risk and would be grateful for any information which may help to do this as I can not find much in the way of guidance / legislation
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2002 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood
Sarah, have a look at the IOSH Info sheet on the 'Technical Information' web page and read the booklet "Safety in the Global Village". I am familiar with 'policies' which deal with such risks and was always collected from Heathrow etc. after an international flight, by a taxi driver. Boy, are you usually whacked! The thing is, due to the 'travel adrenalin rush' when you land, you feel fine and think that a drive would be fine. The risk is that within 10 minutes, you start to shut down and become very sleepy. How we got round the costs in part was to get the employee driver to leave their company car available and leave the keys with an appointed hire driver whom you know (that bit is important) and trust. There are a number of these 'executive taxi drivers' about. He will then drive the company car down to Heathrow or wherever and collect your employee, to drive them back home to bed, generally. His car will be parked on the employees driveway and he can then make a quick departure.

Costs will alwys rule this one but what I have outlined is way cheaper than recruiting a new professional or picking up taxi fares from a wreck! It works well and soon becomes the norm for your valuable people. Average costs would be in the region of £60 for a collection to the Midlands. But of course you could always negociate a bulk discount!

Regards, George
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2002 18:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough
Sarah - You've hit the nail on the head by identifying fatigue as a significant risk factor for travelling. Unlike drink driving and using a hand-held mobile while driving there seems to be little legislation about driving while tired. However, although there are probably no definite supporting statistics, I bet it is a significant cause of road accidents, perhaps even more significant now than drink driving. Fortunately it is gradually becoming more publicised and known, partly helped by the publicity about Gary Hart's extreme sleep deprivation as a major factor in the Great Heck/Selby train disaster. Sadly, many employers and employees still fail to consider the fatigue factor and overlook the effects of driving for long hours or distances whether on business or just driving between home and work.

Another aspect to consider with regard to flights is the ready availability of freebie glasses of wine, etc during flights. Even one or two alcoholic drinks no doubt exacerbate fatigue at the end of a homeward flight as well as putting intending drivers near or over the legal limit. Also people flying out on business should be wary about freebie alcohol if they want to be sufficiently fresh and alert for their business meetings. As your company will no doubt want its employees to represent it as effectively as possible when abroad, you could advise on the related need to minimise fatigue caused by the overall outward journey when advocating George's advice about employees being driven to the airport.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2002 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marie Dolman
Hi Sarah,

I'm in the process of doing something similar myself but based on a more general driving policy. You may find the following publications useful as I have; available via ROSPA's website (www.rospa.co.uk):-

"Managing Occupational Road Risk"
"General Driving and Driver Fatigue Policy Statements"
"Ten Point Code on Driver Competence"
"Safer Journey Planner"

Regards

Marie.