Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2002 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
Hi all

How long should DSE Assessments be kept once an employee has left the company. I currently have a drawer full of assessments, and some of the employees that they relate to have not been with the company for a year now.

Would it be advisable to keep these a while longer, or could they now be safely shredded?

Regards

Nick.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2002 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel
You can ordinarily make a claim up to 3 years after the event and in some cases this can be extended. Computer workstation issues are not that prevalent, despite the hype. You have to take a balanced view on the risk of claims against the effort in keeping the data.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2002 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
No need to treat them like asbestos records, but I would certainly not think of getting rid of anything of this nature in under five years!

Laurie

Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2002 14:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
Hi Dave/ Laurie

Thanks for your comments, you have reinforced my own thoughts.

I'l archive the old ones, to save on space, and maybe put a 5 year destroy date on them.

Many thanks once again.

Regards

Nick.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2002 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Julian Pitty Patty
I thought you could progress a claim anytime in the five years following the identification of an inury? Five years retention could be too short in higher risk jobs.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2002 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
Hi Julian

Whilst this may be true for higher risk jobs, the question was regarding DSE Assesments for an office. Also, I am only concerned with the assessments of those employees who have left us.

If an employee has not filed a claim within 5 years of leaving us, then surely if they start to show signs of a WRULD, then it could be 'reasonably' argued that the symptoms have occurred from a later employer's failure to ensure that their workstation was set up correctly.

Comments please.

Regards

nick.