Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2002 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin From the previous thread, I thought that the shell alert about 3 incidents of mobiles igniting petrol fumes was a hoax, yet it's appeared again in the 'in brief' section of SHP (pg12). Can anyone confirm whether these are actual incidents or not? Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2002 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I think this is typical of some of the lack of editorial expertise in this magazine. I note that in their news items this month it talked of a company achieving ISO 18001 and most persons conversant in the OHS field would know it is OHSAS as there is no agreed ISO standard. I tend to take much of their reports with a pinch of salt. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2002 19:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By janette shaw Hello To help, if not answer, the question; Most chemical sites, including the one I work on, will not allow mobile phones onsite due to the potential for explosion/fire if mobile phone stray spark and flammable vapour combine.Its a rare but possible scenerio/ accepted safeguard. Petrol is a lot more flammable than diesel. A spill of petrol & an 'on' mobile phone would not be a good idea- thats why you have signs @ petrol stations,& many staff are informed not to turn on the pumps if you are on the forcourt with a mobile phone (but they will if you are in the car with the window open!- wierd but true). I have a contact at Shell who i will try to get an answer from but as it is possible - be it myth or trueth its still an issue!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2002 21:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Eden With regard to this great debate !!! the law is quite specific( petoleum licence ) " the use of any radio transmission equipment on a petrol forecourt is prohibited" This includes mobile phones and all emergency vechile's radio transmission equipment and taxi radios.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2002 16:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie The following story appeared in last weeks manchester evening news: "Protesters hit out at a deal in which the mobile phone antennae are being placed inside the price information pillars on service station forecourts in a bid to avoid opposition. Petrol giant Shell has admitted that it has 210 mobile phone antennae at its service stations and Texaco has 20." It seems odd that mobile phones in service stations are forbidden when there are antenna built into the price signs!! Should you decide to use your phone in a petrol station, then at least you will get a good signal.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2002 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Thanks for the responses. I do think there is a lesson to be learnt here regarding the reliability of our trusted information sources. I am really surprised by it, although by what Robert is saying it isn't all that unusual. In this instance, the safety message itself is clear and still stands whether the three reported incidents are real or fake, but if it were not such a clear cut issue I think we could run into problems if these high profile respected publications are unreliable. I wonder if any of the revenue from the phone companies putting their aerials in price signs will be used to reduce the figures on the signs? Somehow I doubt it!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2002 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I must admit that having a very simple mind I just thought that HSP had gone to print before the Shell stories had proved to be false! Laurie
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 October 2002 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Baldwin There was an incident last year on a petrochemical site, probably in the US (could even have belonged to Shell) where a mobile phone did in fact ignite a propane gas leak that was caused by an engineer calibrating a flammable gas detector! The incident was widely circulated within the chemical industry as the first example of the potential for mobile phones to ignite a flammable atmosphere. Coupled with the impending ATEX directive being implemented I think a lot of companies have reviewed their restrictions on equipment that can be taken into area where flammable substances are handled. In this respect a petrol station is no different from a chemical plant. I have not heard of any incidents at petrol stations so I suspect it is a case of chinese wispers, but there is some substance behind it Regards Graham
Admin  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2002 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Martin You are right to raise this concern. A magazine like SHP with such a high profile management board should be a reliable source of information. The lesson is that it is not wise to rely on one source for research (and certainly not snippets or soundbites). In the small print the publishers absolve themselves and IOSH from responsibility for views and opinions in most of the publication. That is not all that unusual but it is worth remembering when you read SHP in future. Tim
Admin  
#10 Posted : 17 October 2002 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Stokes Sympathise with the above views. Came to me from two separate sources, and was tracked down to an article in a publication for Local Authorities from the HSE! Local Shell garage has a photo of one of the said incidents - burnt out pump with car next to it. Maybe it is true after all?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 17 October 2002 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I dare say that the insurers use flying pigs to advertise themselves. On serious note however I think the possibility for fire obviously exists and the carrying of live phones on a forecourt is not a good idea. But, and it is a big but, I have doubts concerning the urban myth fires that seem to have occurred. Some sources point the Far East, some to Spain, some to the States and some to the UK. This widely scattered location pattern suggests that stories these are doing the rounds and are modified with the place of telling being inserted as necessary. There is a salutory lesson for us all in this. People exaggerate and personalise "stories" and even eye witnesses to events are not necessarily reliable sources of information. I was intimately involved in the Flixborough disaster and each person had a slightly different slant on events, these needed evaluation against the known facts to reach a version of the truth. This is particularly seen in the Two versus One pipe theories of causation in the Inquiry, but was personally noted elsewhere. Bob