Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2002 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lightbody In numerous recent site inspections I have found failures in health & safety requirements to be as a consequence of Site Agents/Foremen's inability to control their operatives/sub-contractors. Although the raft of H&S Plans, Risk Assessments and Method Statements are put in place by the Contracting Organisation the Site Agents despite being aware of these permit continual non-compliance by operatives go unpoliced as they do not know how to handle/manage the personnel and situations. Is training at this level in man-management skills the key to Construction Safety?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2002 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt That will help, but it's not just a matter of not knowing how. In my experience they have the ability must not the will, and that comes down to culture, accountability and those other good things that we all know influence the behaviour of people on site. The answer is that there isn't AN answer. Allan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2002 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede If the basic structure of documentation is in place then how do the site agents perceive the problem? Are they under too much pressure to deliver and are afraid to challenge the subcontractors. If they challenge the subcontractors do they get backing from your management? Do they have the man management skills to get over the point that safety on site matters? Do you give them the support they need? I found when I started with my present employer that my site inspections were considered like the alternative to invasive surgery without the anaesthetic! However by treating them as the start or part of an ongoing conversation the site agents in my firm have come round to the idea that I am there to help them by reinforcing the messages that they are trying to send. I also make sure that their case is seen to be being advanced back at base. The Site Agents role is between the rock of the subbies and the hard place of the management. By giving them my support I found that they took up the case for safety with the subcontractors and their staff.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2002 18:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By allan wood with more and more jobs being too keenly priced and companies undercutting one another to win work is it any wonder that safety suffers on site.in my opinion too many people see safety as an obstacle rather than a neccessaty to complete a given task.even getting the correct level of p.p.e on some sites can be difficult,how many people out there have been issued with the cheapest nastiest pair of safety glassess for example.seems to me that there is too much short term thinking being done to maximise profits.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2002 08:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Soem three months into a recent multi-million pound contract on our site I was told (by a senior manager) not to keep bringing H&S problems (no hard hats, no edge protection etc) up with the contractor as I, repeat I, was holding up the contract, and delaying completion! With attitudes like this, and no corporate responsibility law, any hope of improvement in construction safety is pie in the sky Richard
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2002 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede I agree that a successful prosecution would concentrate the minds of the leaders of the industry wonderfully. Especially if the outcome was breakfast with Lord Archer! IOSH should be pressing the Minister on this as should we all. Has the Construction SIG taken a view on this?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2002 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith I believe that Allan St.John Holt was right to raise the culture issue here. Construction safety is a complex issue. There is a risk taking culture within the industry amongst its operatives. How often do you see scaffolders wearing safety harnesses? The problem is that this group have immense power whilst there a skill shortage throughout the industry. I have had the uncomfortable task of explaining to a Managing Director why scaffolders walked off a site when they were simply asked to wear safety harnesses. Most Site Agents/Foremen simply struggle to keep skilled trades persons on their site and if safety management conflicts with the unwritten rules of this culture, it puts the poor Site Agent into a very difficult position. If you were a Site Agent and you did a simple risk assessment regarding this problem, what would the outcome be?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2002 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dennis Rutter Andy, as the first Safety Manager with my company (seven months in), I have experienced similar problems and attitudes from Site Agents, & in some cases Contract Managers. On a recent site visit (please note visit - it seems to be more acceptable than inspection), I was informed by the Site Agent that edge protection around a floor opening was not required because his boys were experienced and well trained - have we not heard this one before? I would agree with all the other responses, and add, that in my opinion it is down to a mixture of culture (risk taking is acceptable / necessary), time pressures and a lack of knowledge on current H & S standards. My course of action to address this problem was to present my MD with a hard hitting and detailed report (in writing)focusing on key issues such as working at height, guarding of woodworking machines, fire procedures, etc. I also clearly outlined why I thought there was a problem (culture) and suggested ways of improving current standards. I linked health and safety with risk to the business should there be a serious accident or fire in a nearly completed £2.5 million shop fit out - would the client really award the company future contracts if the opening of a prestigous store was delayed from opening on time, I doubt it. As I am sure you agree, I believe it is vital to gain the commitment and support of the MD, Senior Managers and Site Agents who will then hopefully ensure that andequate time is allowed for planning and everyone on site carries out work in accordance with the agreed methods of work. PS: If it helps Andy, it was so bad for me a couple of months ago, I felt like packing it all in and becoming a taxi driver (not that there is anything wrong in being a taxi driver). However at the end of the day, our job is to reduce accidents, injuries, ill-health, ensure compliance with H & S legislation, and therefore what we are all attempting to do is morally and legally right, and worth all the hasle - well I think so.