Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2002 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PatrickT
Colleagues, is it possible to confirm a Safety Practitioners(alledged)MIOSH accreditation?

Also

Is it possible to confirm attendance or award, of IOSH accredited training?

Regards
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2002 13:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Place a call to Norman Walton for the membership query, or to Hazel Harvey's team for the accreditation!

Allan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2002 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
The Training arm of IOSH acts as a service offerer for training courses and these are those listed in the Annual Training brochure. You should also note that the points designation and ribbon logo is set to disappear. This is in line with the CPD philosophy that each individual should assess the value of a course to themselves personally, with assistance from the scheme guidance. There is therefore no such animal as an IOSH accreditted training course, the CPD committee do however undertake quality control of content and delivery of the brochure courses.

Allan is totally right concerning membership - Norman will happily verify any claim.

Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2002 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
As a matter of interest, have IOSH ever identified any such fraudsters?
What did they do about it?

To get back on an old hobby horse of mine: might IOSH publicise this service. And highlight (to potential employers) the requirement for suitably qualified (competent) persons in H&S posts?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2002 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Membership Registrar
The IOSH Membership Department positively encourage prospective employers to check their short list or will happily confirm the status of anyone claiming IOSH membership. Of couse the easiest way to check is to request sight of the claimants membership card (issued to all categories on payment of subscription). The membership direct phone number is: 0116 257 3198.

Can I also assure you that false claims to membership are always followed through.

Norman Walton
Membership Registrar
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2002 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion
I am aware of an "safety organisation" that states -our staff are members of the institute of occupational safety and health - when they are not -
Jeff Manion MIOSH RSP
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2002 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Membership Registrar
I will investigate any claim to membership believed to be either false, or misleading, but proof of the claim must be supplied.

Any such claims should be addressed to me. The fax number is 0116 257 3101

Norman Walton
Membership Registrar
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2002 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
I recently became suspicious about a contractor applying for inclusion onto our approved list of contractors, the risk assessments and method statements were somewhat lacking and in some cases incorrect which raied my suspicions as to the competence of their safety advise recieved. It turned out, on investigation, that a Consultant engaged by them who purported to be MIOSH, on checking with the membership department, was in fact not. I believe IOSH are taking action on this case. What concerns me is that employers are being duped into believing that they are employing competent consultants who are purporting to have qualifications that they hav'nt got and worse are being allowed to give incorrect and potentially dangerous advice.

I dont know what can be done to stop this practice. Needless to say I will be checking credentials of some applicants more closely where necessary, but we cannot be ringing up the membership department every 5 minutes. I wonder if it would be possible to publish a list or be able to readily access a database on the IOSH website which would give details of Membership levels of practitioners. I would presume in the days of data protection this would have to be with their consent.

I also know a a few others in my area who have also, whilst not signing MIOSH afer their name, put Members of IOSH on their stationary - being tech SP's and associates etc. I am uncertain as to the ethics of this practice either.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 November 2002 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ethne D'Arcy
Contrary to Bob Lewis's answer re IOSH accredited training courses. In the training section of this website there is a list of courses which are all accredited by IOSH. Confirmation of delegates is possible. Please telephone IOSH and ask for the Training Dept. who will be happy to help further.

Ethne
Admin  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2002 14:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Ethne
Interesting one this. As an institution we verify and accredit service providers for courses over which we as an institution have a great deal of control on the syllabus. Does this make for an accreditted course course when we are not directly involved in the day to day provision. Even with the CPD programme I am hesitant about the word accreditted for the course. It is a constant worry however that bogus claims are continually made for significant numbers of courses and their status. How do NTU operate with the provision of their Diploma? Do they regard it as accreditted or simply as a Licenced syllabus?

As an aside to this I am wondering whether we have the right to confirm or deny any information we hold. Certainly if there is no record we cannot breach the Data Protection Act but if there is one is it Personal Information in the context of the Act. Do we need to obtain permission from members, or others, for the provision of such information on an overall or ad hoc
basis?

Bob
Admin  
#11 Posted : 21 November 2002 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith
Paul Bellis,

In relation to the ethical point you raised in relation to non-Corporate grades that identify themselves as members of IOSH.

Surely if someone is acting as a consultant and is in a non-corporate IOSH membership grade, they should be clearly identifying this to their clients and potential clients?

If you look at the IOSH Code of Professional Conduct which can be found on http://www.iosh.co.uk/files/about/code.pdf

The Code of Professional Conduct has the following points

3. Members called on to give an opinion in their professional capacity shall be honest and, to the best of their ability, objective and reliable.

5. Members shall not undertake responsibilities as safety and health practitioners which they do not believe themselves competent to discharge. Members shall acknowledge any limitations in their own competence.

Consultants should not solicit improperly for work by making excessive claims or
by attacking the reputation of other consultants;
Admin  
#12 Posted : 22 November 2002 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Can IOSH staff respond to Paul's suggestion that a membership data base be placed on the web?

So long as it is limited to full name, membership number and level, I can't see why anyone would object. These fraudsters (however few) must be damaging to IOSH.

I can't see that there is a problem with data protection, if IOSH are already giving out the info over the phone.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 22 November 2002 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Once again Arran-Linton Smith is raising (through the back door) his blinkered & restricted view of "competence" in relation to corporate membership of IOSH. It does not go hand in hand that someone who is not a corporate member of IOSH is not competent, therefore why should the non-corporate contractor mention this. The onus on employing competent contractors is on the client and if he accepts at face value what is being said by the contractor, rightly or wrongly, thats his perogative. If he chooses to investigate claims by the contractor, then checking with IOSH is a good place to start but it should not be the only one. As an analagy, would you employ a Principle Contractor for a building project without checking up on previous experience and completed contracts? I would therefore suggest that a non-corporate member may not be breaking the code of conduct by not mentioning his status and I refute AL-S's implications. Incidentally, I would have a greater concern about corporate members alluding to competence based solely on their membership level.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 November 2002 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer.
I would agree why not have a database with name and membership status, we are virtually identified by posting resonses.

In view of Paul’s response. Couldn’t IOSH review the membership card format, as this can be misleading? Yes it does give your membership grade but that is only of use to persons who are aware of the IOSH grading system. Further the cards states “Please use this card as proof of your current membership of IOSH” which could be easily interpreted as corporate membership to all cardholders.

Keith Archer.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 22 November 2002 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ethne D'Arcy
Bob
Whilst we have little control over the day to day provision of our safety awareness courses we do carry out regular validation visits.

In line with the Oxford dictionary our courses are "officially recognized, generally accepted or believed" and as such are "accredited".

Your question on the data protection act needs to be addressed to our company secretary Colin Gore.

When course providers are licensed they are asked whether or not they wish to go on to our course providers' list and if they agree this information is on the public domain by virtue of our web site and copies we send out on request. Ethne
Admin  
#16 Posted : 22 November 2002 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Ethne
Strictly in line with dictionary definitions the verb to accredit refers to the action of giving a person or organisation power to act or similar or recognition in an official capacity, normally on behalf of another. Thus the organisation is accredited to provide a course agreed at a standard or syllabus, which is thus accepted or believed

Be happy if Colin could pick up on this. Certainly I think it is a reason for not putting the information on line.

Bob
Admin  
#17 Posted : 22 November 2002 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
I remember a few years ago when I was a lad that my Dad had a book that was released by IOSH listing every member and their membership grade (he still has an old copy). Was there a particular reason why this was stopped?

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether this book was available for general release, or whether it was only available to IOSH members.

Regards

Nick.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 22 November 2002 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
You will always get people purporting to be something they are not - its a fact of life.

What purpose would such a list serve? If you want to find out if a person is a member of any professional institute, whether it be a solicitor, engineer or h&s, you ring up the organisation and ask. It's the accepted way of doing it and always has been.

I don't really understand what this discussion is about.

Geoff

Admin  
#19 Posted : 22 November 2002 17:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey
Geoff is exactly right the way to confirm a person's membership status is by contacting the Membership Department either by phone, fax, e-mail (Membership@iosh.co.uk) or even in writing. One thing to be borne in mind is that data held about members is constantly changing and any list that might be produced would be out of date the minute it is printed! For instance at this time of year CPD records are being called in and we are receiving a number of calls from people retiring from the RSP so a list would change daily.
The 'Green Book' as I think it was known, ceased production about 10 years ago although a couple of branches might have continued to produce something similar for a few years. When you consider that there are currently in excess of 26,000 members this would in fact be a considerable tomb these days, even if the Data Protection Act did not preclude us from doing this.Also bear in mind that we have several members who have the same name and it would not be possible to distinguish them apart from a printed list
Norman Walton and his team in the Membership Department will only too happy to assist any verification queries, as will the Training Department who can verify if someone holds a Managing or Working Safely Certificate etc. All the certificates issued by IOSH for these course bear a unique number identification so that forgeries can be detected.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 27 November 2002 17:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PatrickT
Colleagues, I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank those of you who took the time to respond to my request for information.

I have been in contact with Jacoba, from membership services 0116 257 3198, Whom has addressed my query (in the positive) and correctly reviewed my IOSH status.

Can all members say the same?

Regards

Patrick Teyhan
Proud to be a TechSP
but looking to progress!