Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2002 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone I may have missed something here so forgive me if Im asking the obvious, what is happening to the techsp status, I have just had a telephone call from a friend stating that you can no longer apply for techsp status with Dip 1, you must obtain Dip 2 before you can get it. Is this true?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2002 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall No, I believe you can bid for TechSP status after Jan 2003 with a Diploma Part 1 (Nebosh) and say the Nottingham Trent Diploma with three modules. If you are already enrolled onto a Level 3 NVQ in Occupational Health and Safety Practice, with the current standards, then this is acceptable to IOSH to apply for TechSP. The new standards for NVQ boot in early next year.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2002 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Membership Registrar NEBOSH Diploma Part 1 together with at least two years definitive (or pro-rata) experience will meet the requirement for TechSP for the forseeable future. We DO NOT accept 'partial qualifications' either NTU Diploma modules or any other for acceptance to the TechSP category. The NEW - NVQ 3 in Health & Safety (title changed) due to commence on 1 Jan 2003 WILL NOT meet IOSH standards for TechSP. (Please note the current accepted NVQ 3 is entitled - Health & Safety PRACTICE). I would refer those who may have concerns in respect of career development to view the list of accredted qualifications under Membership Information here on the web. Norman Walton Memvership Registrar
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2002 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Norman, I thought that it was the case last year that IOSH would accept three completed modules of the NTU Diploma. Has this recently changed? It is now suggesting the the Nebosh Certificate is recognised with the same status as Level 3 (of the new standards - title changed) yet Level 3 candidates are generally assessed for Level 3 entry by the successful completion of the certificate.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2002 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Tony, I'm answering this on Norman's behalf. The acceptance of three NTU or NEBOSH modules was only for people who were already Associates of IOSH (who in most cases would hold a NEBOSH General Certificate as well). This was part of the transitional upgrading programme introduced when the Associate grade was closed in 1998. These arrangements have now finished so this is no longer possible. The new NEBOSH cert which is being examined for the first time this December does meet the knowledge requirements of the newly devised NVQ level 3 in Health and Safety. This is because the new NVQ is based on a series of standards which were first launched in 1998 as 'Health and Safty for people at work'. These standards which were launched without a specific level on the NVQ framework, could be used as an add-on to other vocational qualifications outside the H&S arena. IOSH based its Managing Safely course on three of the modules soon after release of the standards, NEBOSH have used the whole set for the revised General Certificate. The team developing the new ENTO Health and Safety Standards recognised that the current level 3 in O. Health and Safety Practice was neither reflective of what people were actually doing in the workplace nor actually being taken up by many. So after debate the emphasis of the NVQ qualification was changed basically to mirror what the NEBOSH Certificate has always been- a qualifiction for those who need to have a knowledge of health and safety but not for practitioners. So this actually means that the NVQ has not actually moved down a level but changed its remit. As such it no longer meets IOSH TechSP requirements which were based on a different NVQ level 3 in Practice which will not exist after January 1st. The NEBOSH Dip 1 and other accredited qualifications are unaffected by this change and still continue to meet the academic requirements for TechSP.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2002 08:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Hazel thanks for the input. The entry criteria did seem a little vague.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2002 09:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts I have 16 years experience in Health and Safety including 9 years as a Safety Inspector and two years as a Demolition Supervisor for a large International Petrochemical Company. The last 5 years have been spent as a Health and Safety Manager for a Trinity Mirror Regional Newspaper group.I am resposible for one printing press site, producing over 1.3 million newspapers per week,and 29 branch offices. Plus a total staff of 650. I hold a Nebosh Certificate, 3 modules of the NTU diploma and am an Associate member of IOSH.Is this enough to apply for the grade of Tech SP? Phil Roberts
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 November 2002 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Membership Registrar I refer you to my response of the 13th November 12:12 above. I am sorry but the answer is no. A list of accredited qualifications for higher membership categories may be viewed on the web under 'Membership Information' When you have gained the full NTU Diploma (accredited for corporate membership) and providing you have a minimum of 3 years OS&H definitive experience I would be pleased to take an upgrade request forward for you. You will need to support such an application with an updated CV showing your OSH involvement, together with a Job Description both signed and verified by your Manager / Director and an administration fee of £20. Norman Walton Membership Registrar