Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2002 04:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Taileuk Dear Friends, I meet a problem at work and would like to invite you for branstorming and sharing your precious experience on that. I have been assigned a task to reduce PPE consumption (in terms of both quantity and money) in coming year by 30%. The major consumption item is on safety shoes. I have been trying a number of safety shoes, but nearly all of them are very easily broken (as short as a few days). It is thought that oil stain on the shoes and our workers need to squat for welding and parts cleaning frequently that make the life of safety shoes shorten drastically. My questions are (1) how to tighten control on the consumption by administrative measures. (2) which brand / model of safety shoes are proved durable by your experience. (3) any methods to lengthen the life of safety shoes. (4) any effective methods to reduce the consmption of other PPE without comprising safety. Would like to hear of your advice, Ernest
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2002 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth Taileuk, There are a number of different ways for reducing consumption and cost of PPE, so here goes: 1. Tighten Control > Set up a new for old basis, where the employees need to sign for their PPE, this also ensures they are getting the correct PPE for their job and not the first thing they see. 2. Brand > For this one you will probably need to talk to the suppliers to come up with a suitable model that suits the conditions they are to be used in. You mention oil which generally rots the threaded seam type boot and I don't think rigger boots stand up too good to oil, I've seen the soles on them split after a few weeks. 3. Lengthen life > Look at the conditions that the PPE is being used in. Can it be cleaned on a regular basis to minimise the exposure to substances that are affecting the life span. Also look at maintenance of the PPE, storage and cleaning regimes. 4. Reduce consumption > If you engineer your control methods instead of PPE then you can reduce your consumption that way. I know it's not easy in all situations but remember PPE should only be used as a last resort. Hope this is what you were looking for. Regards Lee