Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2002 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Help needed to source the following items/companies. Mobile phone 'jammer'. Have heard of these being used in some un-named hospitals and airports but cannot find a supplier. Construction site wheel washer. Again I have heard of sites that employed wheel washer stations to clean the wheels of construction vehicles leaving muddy sites but have hit a blank trying to source them. Any help gratefully received on either Regards Bryn
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2002 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Bryn For the wheel washer, try Morclean on 01246 471147 John PS I like the idea of a mobile phone jammer. Should have them in restaurants, pubs, theatres and cinemas etc.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2002 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Bryn, For the wagon wheel wash try; Machine Environmental Ltd www.machinenv.com tel: 01606 832081 No ideas about jammers unless a baseball bat would suffice! Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2002 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Cant help with the wheel washer but I was told by our IT section that blocking mobile phones is illegal!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2002 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Thanks! John / Bob - brochures are winging their way thanks. Agree with your sentiments although I can't condone violence!!! Ian - I can only hope your IT dept are better than mine. Not sure on this one, anyone 'in the know' regarding the legality of using cellphone jammers? Particularly in a hospital setting (Theatres/Anaesthetic rooms etc) where I have exhausted my powers of persuasion with the offenders. Actually had an anaesthetic machine suddenly switch off and strange co-incidence! the surgeons mobile was on top of the machine. Machine worked fine when tested later. Interestingly I did find some phone jammer suppliers on the net (just used a different search engine)and some have a "cannot be supplied to the UK" banner. So that might support your IT dept. Having said that, it is illegal to use radar detectors in vehicles but not to import and supply them - just seems a double standard. Thanks again
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2002 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Bryn, My own curiosity also got me searching the web for mobile jammers. Seems quite a few out there. If jammers are illegal in the UK, I also noticed what might be the next best thing, detectors.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2002 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins With regard to the cell phone jamming, you need to think waht you are trying to achieve. If you block phone signals getting into, say an operating theatre, either by jamming or by a Faraday cage, then any phone in there that is left on will transmit on full power, trying to find a base station. So the owner will not be able to use his phone, and the annoyance factor will go, but it can still interfere with other equipment. Note that a phone has to be very close to medical equipment to interfere (as in Bryn's example). If it is over a metre or so away then the medical equipment EMC immunity should certainly protect it. Simon
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 November 2002 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment John What search engine did you use to find 'detectors' because I don't recall seeing them? Simon Yes, take your point about the jammer actually increasing the interference problem. I'm not trying to solve the annoyance factor as in restaurants, cinemas etc, just the potentially serious EMI problem. Thanks again for the comments.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 15 November 2002 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I use Copernic to simultaneously run about 10 popular search engines. The basic version can be downloaded free from www.copernic.com Anyway, I found a detectors at http://www.cellbusters.com/products.htm http://www.aeisecurity.com/mobiledetector.html John