Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2002 17:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lightbody During recent safety inspections of a client's portfolio of open vacant sites, I have come across fly-tipped (fully/partly charged and empty) LPG cylinders. I have phoned the suppliers, however, they are not interested in removing them. Is there any other organisation or best practice for safe and authorised dumping. Help would be appreciated!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2002 18:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft Andy Just a thought, would it be possible/practicle to collect them up and send them back to the suppliers it may be cheaper than paying to dispose of them. Alternatively can the supplier be made to collect them, after all, surely the cylinders remain their property and in the absence of anyone else to blame for their illegal disposal the responsibility should come back to the supplier to remove them. Regards, Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2002 18:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Andy I also usually consider cylinders to remain the property of the supplier, but I seem to remember from my days of camping that you could become the outright owner of an LPG cylinder (or I could be wrong!) If this is the case you have a problem! Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2002 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The LP Gas Association runs a retrieval scheme contact web page is www.lpga.co.uk Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2002 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lightbody Thanks Ian, Jane and Robert for your assistance, much appreciated. Have found the answer via Robert's web-page details. Regards Andy