Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2002 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
Hi everyone,

I have been asked for my opinion on the legal implications of Social Services Departments making direct payments to clients to purchase their own care provision.

In some situations we will make assessments around moving and handling etc. so are aware of the risks but then the client has the choice of how they spend the money to provide the care they feel is necessary. This may leave us knowing that care is not being necessarily carried out as we would deem 'safe'.

It is our money that pays for the care provision but we don't have control over how it is provided.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on where we stand legally with this one and what other Local Authorities are doing about this grey area.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2002 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby
Greg
The way the Regulations and guidance are written for this are such that Social Services will have no control over who provides the service only that the money which must be paid into a separate account is used only for the purpose of paying the provider for the services that the Council has assessed as being required. The big problem that will arise is that the client may well become an employer unless they buy the service from an agency. Having discussed the matter with the local HSE Inspector she was not sure what the Council's responsibility, if any, would be. She was extremely concerned about how HSE would be able to enforce the law as the client would not be aware of their responsibilities as an employer. The regulations have been out for about 18 months or more and do not allow for Councils to have any say in the selection of providers in these cases. The aim of the regulations is to allow more independence to individuals and give them more control over their lives (at least that is what the official line is but I,m concerned that it could mean a reduction in the standard of care. The Regulations require clients to ask for the money rather than the Council insisting that they have the money. My Council have only two clients using this system and we are trying to watch what is happening but it is difficult.

John C
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2002 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
John,

Thanks for your reply. Some useful points there.

Greg
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2002 04:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia
Have been curious about the legal implications of this, but as I don't work in or with this area, just academic interest.
I did a brief google search when it came up, and found quite a bit, the common view & guidance indicating quite clearly that this change in funding made the recipient a (new) employer.
Many sites (Help the Aged? or similar) had guidance for these new employers (presumably available hard copy too!) on the various safety considerations, electrics, MH, etc.
HOwever, I am intrigued about whether there is an argument that individual care so given could be interpreted as "employing a domestic servant in a private household". I have never seen a definition of 'domestic servant'.
I find the HSE's lack of voice on this also interesting. I really can't envisage some old or disabled person being taken to court for a HASAWA breach when the care assistant breaks an ankle or ricks their back.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2002 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
When my wife became disabled following a stroke some years ago she was left in no doubt by Social Services that if she fell while being helped downstairs and fell onto her care assistant she would held responsible and liable!

That is why we decided to struggle on without the assistance of a carer.

Laurie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2002 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Laurie, I think this is another case of people making statements outside their area of expertise (see Fire Wardens thread). The client would have to be negligent surely? Falling is not negligence (at least in your scenario it's not).

In any event most household insurance should provide cover for liability to 3rd parties.

I thought Social Services were trying to enable people to remain in their own home rather than residential accomodation, where possible (its cheaper for one thing). This kind of comment by Social Services departments is less than helpful.

Jack