Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2002 17:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Clarkson
Urgently need some background/definitions for MoD related work

Blue sky review team?

Milestone achievement?

In reference to Prime Contracting
Can anyone help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2002 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman
David,

As far as I know, a 'Blue Sky Team' is a team that is geared up for carrying out audits and inspections at very short notice, 'coming out of the blue', hence the title. Further input can be obtained from the Directorate of Safety, Environmental and Fire Policy (D SEF Pol) who are based in London.

The 'milestone achievements' are new to me, however, I would suggest that the word 'target' (as used in normal parlance, as opposed to Target Practice)has a parallel meaning.

As regards Prime Contracting, you asking a very tall order. From my experience with Prime Contracting, I have found that the only reliable common denominator is the title. If you can find something more substantial, I would be very grateful for any feedback.

Good luck

Jim

Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2002 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
David.

There is a good deal of information that covers MoD and various of it's contracting types.

Try the Defence Estates web site and it's links first, then type MOD UK into Google and get surfing...

Regards...

Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2002 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan
David

Milestones are used to indicate major achievement points will be built into any large project/contract to monitor progress. Often achievement of these on schedule will be linked to staged payment points - so they are worth getting to on time. Sometimes these are open to negotiation, but more often than not are preset.

Blue sky is a new term to me but previous response is quite feasible.

Hope this helps

David
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2002 23:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Whitfield
In the Aerospace world Blue Sky Vision refers to where you want your company to be in terms of the future. It encompasses process improvement through value stream mapping (streamlining your processes to remove waste), setting "SMART" targets (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Resourced, Time based) as well as the use of other quality tools.

If you have a copy of Microsoft Project you can look at milestones in the help menus. They are basically key points in a project which help you to check if your project is on target (will complete by the target date set).

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Dave Whitfield