Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2002 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lisa Fowlie
Hi Everyone,

does anyone provide (or know of a provider for) training for their security staff in actually dealing with aggressive situations.

We are not looking for restraint techniques (these are provided by police) rather for training in the emotional aspects of defusing the situation - reading and using body language, coping with split second decision making and acting appropriately etc.

Also the talk down procedure after difficult emotional / aggressive / threatening situations have been dealt with.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2002 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw
Lisa

I would recommend trying the Suzy Lamplaugh Trust. They have a lot of advice, info, and videos. I cannot remember if they offer training as well.

Sarah
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2002 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Have used Maybo Ltd before to train all staff including security. Contact Bill Fox on 01932254160.

If it's specifically in the Healthcare sector contact Willie More, Pepar Publications, on 0121 428 4474. Still the best and most entertaining 'Avoiding Aggression' trainer I've come across.

However, shop around and try and sit in on any potential providers sessions before you buy their services.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2002 13:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Lisa

If you email me direct I can give you the number of a very good trainer who gave our security staff training this weekn

Ian