Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2002 21:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Armstrong
Can anybody help? I would like to obtain (gratis) copies of the above and associated documentation to use as the basis for building an in-house training course.
I am a HSE Rig Supervisor currently working on an offshore drilling rig in the North Caspian Sea off Kazakhstan. I am responsible along with my back-to-back for the training of 4 Kazak National HSE Coordinators. These guys have little formal training or knowledge, except that which has been imparted by my colleague and myself over the last 6 months or so. We would like to put together something more formal and, based on a recognised standard, with a view to putting these guys through the full blown NVQ 3 in around 18 months or so. If anyone could email copies of the documents (even if they are slightly out of date), it would be of great help.

Regards,

Steve Armstrong MIOSH, MIIRSM
Rig HSE Supervisor
Rig T47
Deutag Land Drilling
Kazakhstan
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2002 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt
Steve

Give City and Guilds a ring or check out their website for a copy of the standards. However, remember that an NVQ only shows competence and is not an academic course, so you will need to provide the underpinning knowledge for your candidates and you can do this either by sending them on the NEBOSH Diploma or running your own formal training sessions. When you get a copy of the standards you will see that there is a large amount of underpinning knowledge to be covered.

I have a paper copy which I am happy to post to you, but unfortunately I don't have it on computer.

Regards,

Eric Burt
Cheshire County Council
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2002 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt
............. oh and I almost forgot. You will also need an NVQ Assessor (D32/33 qualified) who is qualified to Diploma level.

Good luck!

Eric
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2002 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas
Steve

Sent you an email direct.

Ken
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2002 21:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards
If you visit the site of OCR you can download the standards and have a good look at what areas they need to know. You can start to build a portfolio of evidence now to get them started. You do need a D32/33 assessor with diploma level H&S quals/experience but even if you don't have soemone with them on the rig you can provide testimony to get the process started and then get observations sorted out in due course as qualified assessors are either brought on or are developed.

Lime one Ltd
HR, Health and Safety and Employment Law Consultants.

www.limeone.com

0870 240 4325
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2002 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey
Steve,
You should note that the level 3 standards on the OCR will be out of date on 31st December. They have been replaced by a new set, which have revised the criteria. The new standards are aimed at non health and safety practitioners such as managers supervisors etc. and as such are called Health and Safety not Health and Safety Practice. The new standards are not to be recognised by IOSH as meeting the academic requirement for the TechSP grade, although anyone already enrolled on the old practice standards and completing will be given this recognition. As always this is not guaranteed TechSP but part of the profile to give the membership category, as experience is also required.
The new level 3 standards are in fact those shown in the OCR awards on the same bit of the OCR site. These are the generic H7S standards that were launched in 1998. Please contact me directly if you need any further assistance.