Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 November 2002 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt
I am currently researching the use of mobile phones whilst driving (at work) and have found that research suggests that it is the concentration levels needed to engage in a call rather than the physical act of holding the phone that increases the risk of an accident.

Has anyone else introduced a policy on this subject in their own organisation, and if so - have you banned the use of hands-free phones (whilst driving) as well?

It looks like the new legislation will make using a mobile whilst driving a specific offence but probably won't include hands-free sets purely because this would be unenforceable. What about the insurance implications....?

Thanks,

Eric

Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 November 2002 14:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas
Eric

The mobile phone topic/issue has come up about half a dozen times in the last six months on this forum - if you try the search facility, insert "mobile phone policy" you should find the threads. Hopefully from there you will obtain some answers to your questions.

Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2002 14:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ben Bishop
Hands free or not the main point is what does that phone call cause you to do on the road. It may change your behaviour if having a heated or frustrated exchange with someone, or you may start looking for a pen, paper etc to detail the conversation(which is how i got a rear-end shunt). All things that take you away from the job in hand, driving. I would favour a policy that outlaws thier use whilst in a moving vehicle.
The issue of concentration alone could apply to many things that cannot be blamed on the mobile e.g. playing 'teach yourself' tapes or relaxing music, or anything else that you can do in a car other than drive it!!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 November 2002 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw
Eric

Drop me an e-mail I can send you a copy of our policy which refers to the use of hands free sets.

Sarah