Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2002 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Does anybody have a link to any site that has guidance on the design of storage areas for flammable substances. Our Pharmacy flammable store has to be demolished and rebuilt (to make way for a PFI). I've scoured NHS Estates publications and they have design notes for everything but what I want.

I have ordered HSG51 and will patiently wait but would really like something a little quicker.

Any help appreciated
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2002 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson
I can not point you at any specific design guides but it is worth reminding your designers that DSEAR has now been published and will have an impact if you are storing flammables.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2002 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman
Bryn,

Having had the unfortunate experience of being involved with a number of PFI's, I find it unusual that you have to do preparatory work such as this. I was under the impression that an SPV (PFI contractor) would be contracted to provide suitable accommodation/facilities etc. for their public sector partner - maybe including such storage?

I would strongly agree with John in that DSEAR is very likely to have an impact on existing guidance. However, a good starter might be to critically examine the need for:
a) the flammable store in the first instance, and/or
b) the quantity of flammables that need be stored
- the SPV may have other designs on the service provision of these flammables.

Good luck.

Jim