Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2002 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty
I am looking for information on other local authorities that have career grade schemes in operation.
At the moment the authority that I work for is trying to implement a career grade scheme so that there is natural progression through the pay scales for safety advisers.
Sounds like a good idea... But the goalposts have been set so high that the grades offered are unrealistic for the qualifications expected.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2002 19:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Ian.

If you seek the assistance of a trade union representative they usually have a copy of the joint councils book on grades and scales etc, if not your personnel department should allow you access to the document.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2002 08:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty
Thanks Stuart, but the trade union here is pretty useless, I contacted them over 2 weeks ago and I still have not had a reply.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2002 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy
Ian, Copy of Safety & Emergency Planning Adviser JD (Sc6 - PO2) with Person Spec on the way to you by e-mail.

John
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2002 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liz Johnston
Please contact me if you want details of our career grade positions (So1 - PO3). The SO2 grade is for those with certificate, diploma part 1 = PO1 and diploma part 2 = PO3 or alternatively completion of the various parts of NVQ4.

Liz
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2002 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty
Here is details of the grades on offer, is it just me, or are the salaries pitched too low compared to the qualifications required.

Certificate - AP3 £16217 - £18296
Dip1 - AP4 £18878 - £20897
Dip2 - AP5 £21536 - £23459
+ experience PO1 £23390 - £26976
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2002 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands
Ian,

You must take into account that both salaraies in Liz and John's departments carry London weighting. The scales offered to you are realistic and coincide with salaries given to Welsh local government safety officers. Sorry to put a downer on things.

Regards

Dyfed