Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2002 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw
Can anyone provide me with information about the use of varifocal lenses for FLT drivers. I have been working on the basis that it is unsafe as the varifocal lense obscures periferal vision?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2002 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley
Sarah,

The only danger I am aware of is if you change from one type of lens to another when going from normal specs to safety specs.
I believe you should look at the prescription the wearer normally has and ensure they get like for like. The periferal vision will be the same regardless of the type of lens in a safety spec as you won't be looking through it.
This applies to all wearers not just plant drivers, as the change can be more drastic when looking down whilst decending stairs etc.

Regards

Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2002 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Sarah, not sure what you are trying to do here. It is folly to question a prescribed lens, if an Optometrist has deemed a varifocal as necessary for the user to have normal vision, then that should be accepted. To deem that a person would have to wear a bifocal may well be more dangerous as they are two distinct lenses, one for distance and one for close work - nothing for middle distance. Whereas a varifocal has a distance lens and through a range of graduated changes (coping with the varying focal lengths required between)to a lens for close work. It seems to me that varifocal may be safer! There may also be a case of Disability Discrimination here.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2002 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw
To clarify where my query comes from. We have an occupational health dept on site and they have stated that FLT drivers should not wear varifocals when driving FLTS as they give a distortion to the periferal vision.

If you look at bifocal lenses as compared to varifocals they work differently ie when you look through the periferal area you are not using the close too parts of the lense, only the longer distance because you don't need it. With varifocals however the altered area of vision goes all the way across the lense hence the impaired vision when driving. Think about when you look over your shoulder when driving a car, you don't use the centre of the lense just the side.

I was wondering if this was something anyone else had come across, or knew of a formal reference to it.

I agree that changing someones lense type does adversely affect them as there is a technique to wearing these modified lenses. However if there is a risk either way I wanted to explore this further.

Sarah