Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2002 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky
Hi,
I am unfamiliar with the IEE regs, and have just been into a new building (to use for a Risk assessment workshop!), and there is a double socket over a sink - I know it shouldn't be there but what do I quote to the architect?
Regards
Nicky
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2002 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen
Nicky, Have a look at the IEE Wiring Regs (16th edition) - I think (though not 100% sure) that electrical sockets should be at least 1 metre away from a tap. However, I have successfully persuaded planners on the basis of a risk assessment(Management Regs)that they should not put sockets within arms reach of a water tap/sink where the risk of electrocution has been identified amongst the client group.
I am told that if an RCD is fitted to the system this removes the problem - but
don't feel comfortable with this. Perhaps others have a view on whether RCD's are 100% effective in all circumstances?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2002 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky
Sorry, I don't have a copy of the IEE regs. I am going to use the MHSWR but like you I am sure that sockets should be at least 1m away, but as I said I don't have a copy so cannot quote the exact section etc.
Regards
nicky
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2002 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
I don't have the regs to hand, but I'm sure that the general prohibition of accessible sockets and switches in bathrooms is based on not being possible to touch the socket or switch whilst in contact with water. Even if not included in the regulations, it seems sensible for this to be the basis for a minimum standard for sinks as well.

Placing sockets close to sinks also encourages people to use appliances, like kettles etc, on the drainer with the risk of the appliance toppling into the water. New kitchen appliances have short (<1m?) leads, but the older standard was 6feet.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2002 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough
One or more persons has got it wrong - either the architect with his/her design or the electrician who installed the socket or the plumber who fitted the sink - and should have queried the presence of the sink or socket. Perhaps the electrician wasn't qualified in which case there may be other less obvious faults with the electrical installation! As other respondents have suggested, technical guidance about how far sockets should be from a sink is no doubt specified in the latest IEE Regulations. From a quick glance the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 merely state that electrical equipment exposed to wet, corrosion, dust, etc. should be specially designed to avoid danger.

My approach to the architect, etc. would be along the lines that you were very surprised to see the socket above the sink - surely he or she knows that "electricity and water are dangerous companions" or some similar adage. Even if the socket circuit is protected by an RCD, the socket should be relocated. RCDs are great, but should never be regarded as infallible - and in any event are no excuse for sloppy installations. If the socket remains in its present position, it is likely to be used by people with wet hands, have kettles and other equipment plugged into it, and such equipment is liable to get knocked into the sink and electrocute somebody.

One of my standard questions to people who will not take action about potentially lethal situations is "if someone is killed or seriously injured by this situation - which you think is okay or you don't want to do anything about it, how will you explain this to a deceased person's relatives and to a court?"

Point out the shortcoming with the socket to relevant people and keep a note of who you told, where and when. If feasible, confirm your advice to them in writing. If the socket and sink are already in use, ask for the socket to be promptly taped over and for a clear label to be put on or near it with the advice "danger - do not use socket". This will provide an interim means of minimising the danger which arises from continued use of the socket.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2002 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Nicky,

The IEE Regs do not actually include any specific distance and take you to a risk assessment strategy, where you would need a greater distance with eg mentally disabled at risk people.

In your situation the placing of the socket over the sink rather than to the side adds the extra dimension that someone might be standing in the sink eg to access ceiling above, in which case difficult to come up with safe distance less than person height + reach above!

Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2002 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
This has been a poor, but widespread practice for years. Unfortunately in some circumstances it has been hard to avoid (eg very small kitchens). The IEE Regs only make specific reference on this subject to bathrooms and certain other water risk areas (eg swimming pools) but the general principles of protecting persons from electric current and socket outlets from water ingress will apply together with the risk assessment approach under Electricity at Work and Management Regs. Whenever I have come across this situation in workplaces, I have have either asked for relocation or, if not practicable, conversion to a 30mA RCD-protected socket.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 December 2002 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby
Nicky
Take care as to how you approach this one. It is possible to have the situation as described and the protection is afforded by the use of a double earth bonding system. In other words all the potential live conductors are earthed together. This is allowed under the IEE Regs. Obviously the resulting protection is dependent solely on the integrity of the earthing so an RCD would be a useful addition.

Cheers
John C
Admin  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2002 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky
Thanks all,
There is another double socket over 1m away on the work surface. As part of a workshop we are looking at risk assessments and this is an ideal training exercise, we are using the new building to set up risks and it seems that we don't have to "set up" too many as they are already built in!

I was certain that there would be a statutory distance from a sink as 1m has always stuck in my mind.(Perhaps it is a rule of thumb.) I will bear in mind RCD's etc as control measures, but there is no real need for this socket.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 03 December 2002 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Nicky. Regarding your point about specific safe distances, The On-Site Guide to the IEE Regs when referring to baths and shower basins says that 'out of reach' may be interpreted as more than 1.5m horizontally from the edge of a bath and 2.5 m above the bottom of a bath. I conclude that these dimensions may be used respectively with regard to 1.reach; and 2.reach when standing in water; for other positions where there is a similar risk.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 03 December 2002 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky
Cheers Ken - that is probably where I got the distances from in the dim and distant past.
regards
Nicky
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 December 2002 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
Nicky

Follow this link to the Electricity at work Regulations.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/s..._19890635_en_1.htm#tcon.

I think the jist of it will be (Without reading it all!) the siting of sockets should be proportional to the risk - the designer should be considering external influences, such as the possibility of splashing by water - where this is a likelyhood, the socket should then be installed to IPX4 rating - but this doesnt look nice.

The relevamt IEE reg is 512-06-01, which states - every item shall be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is likely to be used or its mode of operation shall take into account of the conditions likely to be encountered - including the test requirements of part 7. - it goes on to say that external influences may dictate the necessity of addition protection etc.

I believe the NICIEC electrical contractors standards, support document advice is that the sockets should be at least 30cm from the sink edge, but this could debatable whether this would give adequate protection against splashing. so the installers/designers should at least be working to this advice.

Why anyone with any sense would want to install a socket over a sink is beyond me, it is obvious to anyone that electricity and water dont mix and should be kept seperate!

hope this helps

Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 December 2002 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood
John appeared to touch on the key point of earth bonding after all the discussion about risk assessment, which indeed is the type of process considered in the IEE 'Wiring Regs'. The trouble with the those Regs is that you need specific training to be able to use them correctly and practical people usually find the IEE 'On-Site Guide' or the ASEE 'Illustrated Guide' to the Regs, much better in helping you decide how the system components should be installed.

It is normally accepted by installers (including good kitchen companies) that they will not install a socket outlet within 1 metre of a sink unit. The reason for this is that, due the requirements of the Wiring regs, earth bonding is essential if the 'touch distance' can be less. Sure, that is a matter of judgement for them but when I install, I always make sure every piece of 'extraneous conducting material' is solidly earth bonded with 10 or 6 mm earth cable, using the required attachments and aluminium labels to warn of disconnection.

The others are also right in some of the comments about the appropriate degree on water ingress protection - and this should be assessed before installation. I would not want an IP56 socket outlet over my sink! However, if it is within 1 metre but away from direct splashes (how wet can you get?) then so long as the bonding is in place and there is a 30 ma RCD in circuit, I believe that would satisfy any risk assessment. P.S. I have two sockets in my kitchen that are less than one metre from properly bonded steel sinks, with separately mounted bonded taps.

Of course it is no use having all the distance and bonding in place if you use an old electric kettle near a sink - that too should be examined regularly for cable and connector defects to prevent the conducting parts becoming accidentally live - if they do, the RCD may work OK but for a frail person, the shock from touching the kettle and sink together could be too great.

The clear message is a good design and installation standard by a competent person in partnership with a sound maintenance regime to ensure everything stays safe. That is why the new Building Regulations, due in 04 I think, will specify that 'Competent Persons' must be employed to install and modify all electrical systems in the future - just like the Gas Regs!

George