Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2002 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Wright
Can anyone tell me - what is the actual DEFINITION of and Accident ?????
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2002 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Peter,
I use the definition "an accident is any unplanned event, caused by any act or omission, that leads to actual or potential injury or daqmage to persons or property"

I don`t recall where I found this definition, but it seems to fit the purpose

Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2002 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas
Peter

The HSE define an accident as:

'any unplanned event that results in injury or ill-health to people, or damages equipment, property or materials but where there was a risk of harm'.

Ken

Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2002 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan
Might I suggest that an accident is the outcome of a poorly managed operation. By this definition, even when the outcome is a desirable one and the objectives of the operation were achieved with no damage or harm caused, it is still an accident. Poorly managed operations can achieve what is intended, but is is more by luck than design.

By focusing purely on accidents that involve injury, we would be acting reactively. By focusing on how work operations are managed, the control of the process, we are acting pro-actvely and thus well on the way to avoiding accidents, including accidental success.

Philip
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2002 21:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow
Hi Peter

I think you will find many definitions of "what is an accident", above are three examples.

The one that I find the best is "an accident is an unplanned or uncontrolled event leading to actual or potential, injury, damage, loss or harm".

This one covers all and encompasses those very important near misses, which if properly reported and investigated are a great tool to reducing accidents!

Regards

David B

Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2002 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Baldwin
Peter

Over the years I've seen numerous accident definitions some stretching to half a page!

Bearing in mind the KISS principle the one I prefer is:

"An unplanned event with undesired consequences"

Regards

Graham
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 December 2002 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
I thought that was a pregnancy!

Laurie