Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2002 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert JL Arthur I would like to implement an alcohol and drug policy to encompass random testing. Any advice on how to implement, breach of civil liberties etc. (my occupational area is heavy goods vehicle drivers)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2002 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Hi Robert Might be worth contacting ROSPA - www.rospa.com or Brake - www.brake.org.uk They should have plenty of advice on this for you. Regards Nick.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2002 23:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Gardiner I remember attending a briefing day where the Doctor in charge of the Occupational Health Service for the London Underground explained their process for compulsary drug tests of drivers. You may want to contact them to establish the process they went through. Good Luck Simon Gardiner
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2002 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan An article on drugs screening was published in SHP in May 2001. I prepared a response, elements of which were published in the following months issue. I focused on the human rights issue associated with mandatory drugs/alcohol testing and raised a number of concerns. Below I include some of those thoughts from my response. The concept of mandatory drugs testing must be challenged, not solely by ourselves in the safety professions, but by all who manage work environments and people for the assumption implied regarding the right of employers to infringe basic human rights through general and systematic screening operations. Drugs testing is an invasive procedure, whether it involves taking body fluid samples or cutting hair, and invasive procedures beyond those necessary for surgical purposes or expressly sanctioned by proper laws, constitute an assault on the individual, no matter how minor the physical hurt caused. It further presumes a state of guilt with the onus on the individual to continually prove his/her innocence. The May 01 article in SHP gave the impression that drug testing procedures are developed for safety purposes, however that proposition was negated at the time by the list of what drugs that were being tested for, as well as by the main picture of the article. Without exception the author detailed tests for the presence of controlled, and therefore illegal, substances. There are many GP prescribed and proprietary medications that adversely effect performance and therefore safety, but by their omission from this type of article, and from drug an alcohol policies, screening evidently becomes a policing operation by employers. Basic civil and human rights prohibits the State from conducting any such screening operations on its citizens, why then should private companies be permitted such a function? As safety professionals we should seek good practice for improving safety rather than jumping onto bandwagons that ignore or are incapable of seeing the long term and wider implications of their actions. In this regard, the correct approach is to set standards for safety and performance and to expect workers to meet those standards after induction and training has been provided. Where workers fail to meet the required standard (or appear likely to be unfit to do so) then the role of the manager is to work with the employee to determine why and to inform him/her of the requisite performance requirements (including abstinence from substances likely to impair performance, and to report the taking of medication). It is by setting the standards, monitoring performance and, where necessary, retraining or removing consistent under-performers that good safety practice is established without the infringement of human rights. In these circumstances it is immaterial whether the under-performance is due to incompetence, medication or drug use, the approach is the same and is acceptable, in law and in principle. If any individual is involved in "illegal" activities, it is up to the police to collect the evidence and to prosecute, and there are internationally recognised standards controlling how they do this. It is not for employers and advocates of drug screening to subvert justice by adopting highly irregular mass screening practices. As safety professionals we must ensure that our concern for the safety and welfare of workers is holistic, far seeking and ethical. Regards, Philip
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2002 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Robert, I understand you problems. The thorny issues surrounding the introduction of a D&A policy can side track the implementation process. I have been involved in the introduction of the policy with several companies and by far the best approach has been to work with good occ health professionals eg Health in Business, Cheshire Manufacturing Park, Oil Sites Road, Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, CH65 4HF. 0151 348 5678. You can contract this group to work with you on this. The introduction must be planned carefully, involve everyone, start with the most senior personnel and include a good associated personal message for the policy to stand any chance of success. Suggest you ensure a good tie in between H&S procedures and HR Procedures. The implementation is often best managed by a HR group as opposed to a SHE group. Hope this helps Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2002 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Stevens Phillip While i have read your reply & understand the point of what you are saying i have to say that its a load of hairy fairy bunkum. We don't live in the world of everyone doing the right thing (companies & individuals). Drugs & alcohol for companies involved in transport is a real issue. Yes companies such as the 1 i work for should do more on awareness for personnel regarding drugs & alcohol but i am afraid that deterents such as testing are also required. i for 1 don't want to have to investigate a multiple fatility caused by 1 of our drivers who was affected by alcohol or drugs. if random testing identified a driver who was about to go out with a vehicle under the influence then i for 1 would think it was worth the intrusion.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2002 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Ken, Totally agree, the policy we introduced included with cause testing. An incident where the forks of a forklift were dropped onto an employees foot lead to the driver being tested. Lo and behold a 42 year old experienced worker, well thought of tested positive for cocaine and heroin! The whole workforce endorsed the policy wholeheartedly! Drinking before coming on to shift in the afternoon stopped as well. This is the society we live in unfortunately. Bob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2002 19:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ken 'hairy fairy bunkum' I'm surprised. It shows a completely closed mind to ideas from others. We might all have our differences of opinion but I'm not sure phrases like that help in discussions - do you? Geoff
Admin  
#9 Posted : 08 December 2002 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Hi Robert and all, After reading some interesting responses I would like to air my views on the subject. Also, I am train driver on London Underground and a member of IOSH. In principle I do not have a problem with D&A testing, afterall we are doing a safety critical job. However, initially testing was introduced as means of confirming or otherwise whether a person was under the influence of alcohol or drugs after an incident. It was also stated that testing would be at the discretion of the Incident Officer or the police. This approach is clearly different from so-called random testing. In practice even this policy is subject to critisms, why should a distraught driver be tested after a person has thrown themselves under a train? In screening terms the company also screen for medical conditions as well as drugs and alcohol. Such as enzymes that can show whether a person is a heavy drinker or AIDS. In my view this is intrusive and totally unacceptable. A person may be a heavy drinker but provided it does not affect their performance at work it has nothing to do with the organisation and nor should a person be subjected to 'medical correction programmes' because of it. The company argues that as a 'caring employer' they have a duty to inform those who have been identified with a medical problem. It's absolute 'tosh' and many would like to remind the company of their 'caring employer' responsibilities. Why do train drivers get singled out any way? Why not the police, firemen or airline pilots etc. I believe that a person should be allowed to go about freely and not be subjected to random testing, whether driving a car, train or whatever. That said, testing after an incident is not unreasonable provided that it is at the discretion of a manager or police and therefore deemed appropriate. Regards, Ray
Admin  
#10 Posted : 08 December 2002 21:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards Whatever we think about intrusion, it is a given that risk assessment of potential areas of abuse will become an insurance requirement. In January I will be doing a case study on this area on our website on www.limeone.com examining ways of consultation and comparisons with other countries' views on this emotive area. It is clear that in introducing a policy to random test, every employer will need to consider both the HR and Health and Safety aspects. As well as the policies and implementation you may will also need to dove tail this into other policies and procedures that affect employee behaviour. Lime One Ltd HR, Employment and Health and Safety Law Consultants. 0870 240 4325
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 December 2002 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Stevens Apologies for the 'Hairy Fairy Bunkum' statement.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 10 December 2002 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Apology noted Ken, however I am fairly secure in my intellectual capabilities that I have taken no offence from your remarks. If we were all so succinct in our arguments, there would be little need for NVQs, NEBOSH or other study. It is the paucity of debate in your posting that should give you, rather than I, some concern. Rational debate on safety and the law should not be reduced to a poorly chosen pithy comment and anyone with whom you disagree put down as merely speaking nonsense, rubbish or whatever other adjective that comes to hand. Fortunately I believe the debate on the civil liberties aspect of drugs policies to be worthy of serious consideration, and would suggest that your dialogical input to the inquiry by Robert for advice may be more likely to harm your (and possibly your employer's) credibility than either my argument or feelings. As I do put some weight onto considered evaluation and rational argument I think it worthwhile to seek clarification on the position that you adopt with respect to the rights of employees. I accept, as you do, that we do not live in a world where everyone does the right thing, but can I interpret by your inclusion of this sentence where it is, that you maybe accept that what I have suggested is the right thing to do, (but, in your opinion, is still "unacceptable")? Because if that is what your are saying, my interpretation is that you are suggesting that because everyone is not doing the right thing, then it is alright for others (or at least yourself and your employer) to also not do the right things, as long as your objectives are right. In other words, are you suggesting that it is all right for the ends to justify the means? I agree that drugs and alcohol are a real issue for employers, but if you read carefully what I have stated above, you will note that I have proposed an approach to the issue that does not make the breaching of human rights a real issue too. However, your argument that deterrents are also required is negated by the first part of that same sentence. Suggesting that the company that you work for "should do more on awareness" is tantamount to saying that it is not doing everything that it is obliged, legally or morally, to do. Yet if that is the case, can you suggest why the deterrents of legal prosecution, public censure and loss of trade are ineffective? Look also at Bob's reply to you. The law already exists for prosecuting and imprisoning people for driving under the influence, possession and use of heroin, cocaine etc. but this did not deter the FLT driver in his example. You go onto suggest that if random testing identified a driver who was about to go out with a vehicle under the influence then you would think it was worth the intrusion. Let me ask, have you considered yourself as the subject of such an intrusion, being required for example to give a urine sample after returning to the office after lunch time? And, without prejudice to the actuality of your family situation, what if your partner was required to submit to intimate testing at work, or your children before they went into the school science labs? You see where the problem lies? Once you begin to make exceptions to human rights, the line become blurred and then disappears. Of course, no one wants to have to investigate fatal accidents at work and I have suggested a way in which work operations can be properly managed without causing harm or breaching employees' rights. If you are interested e-mail me and I will be happy to send you a paper that will elaborate on the above and detail a very successful management model, fraternally, Philip
Admin  
#13 Posted : 10 December 2002 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I must admit until reading Phillip's inital response, I was of the "hang em high and to hell will civil liberties" school. I've been giving Phillip's comments much thought over the weekend and have now come around to his way of thinking. As Phillip says, people should not be having to prove their innocence. I, as a H&S advisor am not a policeman and should not be looking for Criminal activities. The comments added to this thread since the weekend confirm Phillips arguments (as far as I'm concerned). I think he has done us a service widening this debate and it's implications.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 10 December 2002 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Dear Lord, I have no wish to be torn to pieces, please do not let me get on the wrong side of Philip. Geoff
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 December 2002 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas I have found all the responses very interesting on this alcohol and drugs policy thread and I suppose I have sympathies for both sides of the issue, i.e. Human Rights. However, no matter what camp you may stand in, I thought I'd post some information that I have just discovered which I hope sheds some light on what appears could be the way the subject is being viewed by the courts. Apologies in advance for the length of this response but I think it will be worthwhile to those interested. The Provision Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights says: everyone has the right to have respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence. The introduction of a random drugs or alcohol test is, it could be argued, an invasion of privacy and thus contrary to the HR Act. The first case to reach the Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT) where this was argued has just been reported and gives some indication of the way in which the courts may regard testing for drugs and alcohol. O'Flynn worked for Airlinks the Airport Coach Company Ltd as a Customer Care Assistant. She had been employed for over 2 years when the company introduced a drugs & alcohol policy. This involved random drugs testing and provided that reporting for duty with drugs in the body, would be regarded as gross misconduct that might lead to dismissal. About 5 months later O'Flynn was randomly selected for a urine test. She told the OH Nurse she had taken cocaine the previous weekend and that she had taken cannabis. The test was positive for cannabis but not for cocaine. After a disciplinary hearing she was dismissed. She subsequently complained to an employment tribunal and to the EAT against the tribunal's decision that the dismissal was unfair. O'Flynn could be required to assist drivers in manoeuvring coaches & to serve hot drinks on moving coaches, though not on a regular basis. There was, therefore, some safety aspects to her job. The tribunal first considered whether the drugs policy had become part of the employers contract and decided it had. The policy had been well publicised by the employer and O'Flynn had not objected to it when it was introduced. Source: dkloss OHR news If you want the full details they are available on: http://www.idsbrief.co.uk/elc/O'FLYNN%20v%20AIRLINKS%20THE%20AIRPORT%20COACH%20CO%20LTD.htm Regards Ken
Admin  
#16 Posted : 13 December 2002 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Mmmm.... An interesting debate, and one which begs the question "what are human rights?" The term implies a set of gobal rules, some absolutes, yet there are non. "Human rights" are as flexible as a philosopher's thinking. They depend upon concensus, and that concencus is only applicable to the culture within which it is achieved. "Human rights" is about conferring freedoms on the individual, provided that those freedoms do not conflict with the "common good". In Europe, we have now adopted a written format in the European Convention on Human Rights. The Americans have had something similar for some time. We should, however, always bear in mind that these are not statements of Human Rights per se, but statements of what the authors believed should be human rights, as debated and ratified by the elected representatives of the people to whom the rights would apply. If this is consensus, what proportion of the population of each of the member states actually voted for the articles of the ECRH? All of the articles may be overriden by the domestic laws of the member states - curtailment of "Human Rights" for the common good. This in itself assumes concensus government - that we all agree Tony Blair, or whoever is our President, sorry Her majesty's Prime Minister, can act on all our behalfs. That we rely on Parliament to represent we, the people in the face of the party whipps, and confer final arbitration to the European court of human rights, as we know their decision to be binding on all european governments!!!!! So using the same logic, if a company wishes to introduce random testing, and less than half the employees object, then human rights will not be infringed. If a truck driver from a country which does not have drink driving laws is stopped in the UK and breathalysed, have his human rights now been infringed? Despite attempts at legislation, formal human rights are a myth. They reside in our sense of right and wrong, thet are personal, and it is not for others to determine if our human rights have been infringed.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 13 December 2002 20:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Still some interesting views on a contentious subject, particularly from Ken who as usual has come up with a gem. But Ken, you did not mention a recent EAT hearing regarding an employee who refused to take a random test. I believe he was a ticket inspector/conductor with a train operating company. He was dismissed. The EAT found in his favour and ruled, to paraphrase " that the company had no right to dismiss him." Even within the law it is a somwehat contentious and ambiguous concept. Ray
Admin  
#18 Posted : 15 December 2002 22:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards Ray, Can you provide the details of the EAT case you mention? I ask as we pay a mint for case law and this one hasn't found its way to us yet! Many thanks Lime One Ltd www.limeone.com 0870 240 4325
Admin  
#19 Posted : 16 December 2002 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Like health and safety, human rights are sometimes used for purposes which were never intended. Does the fact that the Government takes part of my income for its own purposes infringe my human right to earn a good wage? Laurie