Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2002 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
I work for a charity that runs care homes for people with learning difficulties.

A member of staff is expecting twins. Does anyone know whether there are any additional concerns at work - over and above the general guidelines in HSG122 - 'New and expectant mothers at work'?

Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2002 16:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
A maternity assessment shouldn`t really depend on the number of babies involved, each assessment would depend on the individual mother and her working conditions etc..

A sample of the form I use can be downloaded at http://members.lycos.co.uk/sbsf on the downloads page.

Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2002 20:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Riley
Whilst I agree with Neal's comments, you should be aware that everything happens faster with a twin pregnancy ie rapid increase in size. There is also a tendency to suffer from extreme morning sickness and a higher miscarriage & complication rate eg early delivery. Mother's having twins are treated as 'high risk' by maternity staff, and are usually advised to take their maternity leave as early as possible, as by the time they are 28 weeks pregnant, they can be extremely large and extremely tired!

Obviously everyone is different, but you will need to ensure that the risk assessment is reviewed at suitable intervals, which may be more often than is usual.