Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2002 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Lennon Its Panto season again! (oh no its not) On a serious note. If a theatre uses a trapeze to fly Peter Pan across the stage, is it a lifting operation under LOLER and is the trapeze 'lifting equipment'?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2002 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson David We treat all of the flys,lighting bars and ancillary kit such as trapezes as lifting equipment and inspect and test accordingly in our theatre. We flew Peter Pan some years ago and had an additional test and inspection carried out as the loads were dynamic rather than static. If your theatre is subject to a PEL you will find your Licensing Authority will have a view on this matter.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2002 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I think they are work equipment but in any case the risk assessment would lead you to doing exactly what you are doing. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2002 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If Peter is actually lifted or lowered (rather than just suspended and allowed to swing) and if an employment situation exists, the answer, I believe, is 'Yes'. Tinker-bell, presumably, will be without artificial support.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2002 09:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie A week before retirement and I'm still learning! I've got a performer rappelling down onto the stage next week, and while I've put precedures in place for certifying the equipment and training, I'd never even considered whether LOLER applied! Best take another look at the risk assessment! Laurie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 December 2002 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Euan Turner David, the short answer is yes, without a doubt. There are a a whole range of intersting questions here apart from the testing/rating/certification of the flying harness, wire, etc: especially in relation to what you attach the flying system to, competence of operators, failsafes etc... Foys, one of the main people flying companies do quite a good line in paperwork - so if you're using them, you should be off to a good start. If not, they might be willing to share info with them - don't have a number for them unfortunately. If you want to get in contact by e-mail to have a more detailed chat, feel free - I work as a Safety Advisor for a wide range of theatres in Scotland. Hope this helps, Euan