Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2002 18:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wynn Hi everyone, could someone give a good example of an accident report. we recently had a minor accident which may not warrant a full blown investigation but I see this as a great oppurtunity for a "duumy" run which may come in handy as or when the real thing happens. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2002 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Dave Here are some of the issues and topics (no particular order) that I think in my experience, could be required to be answered or involved in the investigative process and therefore included in an accident report: Accident scene, photos, preserve evidence, make area safe, communication, etc. etc. Sequence of events Where and when the accident happened Who was involved in the accident - statements, witnesses, injured parties and their representatives How/why the accident happened Loss caused by the accident, i.e. to people, equipment, machinery, environment, etc. Report to HSE or regulatory body - i.e. F2508 HSE or regulatory body investigation Causes of the accident - key findings Emergency response Organisation/company response Rescue operation Technical Investigation What control measures where in place to prevent an accident? i.e. Risk Assessment been completed, was there a Safe System of Work, where the people trained, adequate maintenance, etc. etc. What rules, regulations or standards where in place or broken Results of the investigation, lessons to be learned, review, conclusion(s), recommendation(s), action(s) Company/organisation response. There must be more... which I'm sure our fellow forum followers will gladly provide. Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2002 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harwood Dave, Here is the format I use to generate an accident/incident report, although I shall now be modifying it to include some of the points raised in Ken's reply which I have missed! Hope this is of some help and that it is never required in anger: INVESTIGATION When? Where? To whom? /involved parties Outcome Treatment required Immediate remedial measures instigated How? Why? Immediate cause Secondary cause Does a job analysis exist? Did the involved parties have training? Was there a change in work method? Was there a change in equipment? Was there a change in procedure? Was there a change in layout or environment? Was there a change in material? Was there a change in the man? Was there a change in supervision? Were changes known prior to the incident? Was safe practice adhered to? Was safety equipment provided? Was safety equipment used? When was it last inspected? When will it next be inspected? What remedies can be applied? REPORT Summary of events prior to incident Information gained during investigation Details of witnesses Information of injury or loss sustained Conclusions Recommendations Support material (Photos, diagrams) Dated/signed by person(s) carrying out investigation. Alan.