Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2002 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier I am trying to establish the number of health and safety related training days, per person per year, people/employers provide to their employees during a year. We currently provide formal training at a rate of 0.2 days per employee per year. Is this high or low? Your help would be appreciated
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2002 15:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I'm not sure raw numbers would be of any help or how you could compare them with other companies. Surely any training levels depends on the activities, the risks within the industry and your own specific and type of workplace/s, and your employees in regard to skills required, age, English speaking etc? Geoff
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2002 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier Thank you for your input. Obviously the amount of training does depend upon the circumstances present on site. My thought process is that zero is not acceptable, but what is acceptable/carried out by others? We are predominately an office environment with low hazard/risk and I am trying to establish some sort of base line of training days per employee.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 December 2002 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Vintner You may want to start to carry out training needs analysis. Not sure if the number you quote is high or low as it has to be compared. 2 hours a year per employee would seem excessive for my chaps as they only inject jam into doughnuts. However, if you are on the cutting edge of technology the expectation would be for continued personnel development. Pete
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2002 21:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc The new Care standards commission have deemed it necessary to allocate 3 full paid training days per year per person for all residential care workers; some of this must include health & safety. I know this is not your field, but thought you might be interested in a wider picture. Merry xmas