Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2002 17:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster To practitioners in charge of numerous sites. How do you ensure that the guidance you issue is implemented? Imagine you have over 100 varying establishments. You have produced a large amount of guidance on all of the obvious, and some not so obvious, topics. You offer training and seem quite happy that the establishments are, to a certain degree, self managing. How do you go about checking? How do you 'close the loop'? What methods do you employ to build up the biggest picture as to how well the establishments are performing and what of your guidance (complete with checklists). Does it work, if so how well? Seasonal Greetings good people!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2002 18:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger K. Bentley Richard, In a word: audit! But the question I would ask is what are your responsibilies? Presumably you do not have a management responsibility for 100 sites. Your colleagues who are managing them should be continuously monitoring that the guidance you are sending out is being put into practice. Regards, Roger Bentley
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2002 18:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Hi Richard, It is in fact the 'holy grail'is it not. Obviously there are measures such as audits, benchmarking etc but have you considered implementing a safety climate survey otherwise known as a Safety Culture. The HSE have a generic Safety Cimate Tool that can be purchased or perhaps you might wish to design your own attitude measurement survey. I am going to write my dissertation on the subject and have been researching it in order to design and implement a bespoke survey in my organisation. I believe it is probably the most thorough and accurate means of measuring health and safety in a large organisation to date. I suggest you check out the HSE climate tool via the search engine and give it some thought and if still not sure email me with any ideas/problems that we can discuss. Regards Ray
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2002 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Richard - Hi, we operate over 250 sites of varying establishments employing 3500 staff and part of our system for "closing the loop" is to include in the guidance we offer, a system of self inspection monthly with safety reps; quarterly self audit and a rolling programme of independant audit by us. The "big" audit is based on a Safety Manual which sets out the expected standard, the audit measures compliance against that. Hope that helps. Compliments of the Season!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2002 12:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laura Reed Richard, I am not sure that there is any way to close the loop on your safety management system. The nature of management systems is that they require audit and review to be effective and therefore are never truely closed. If you are talking about monitoring the effectiveness of corrective actions and guidance then as suggested previous audit is the best tool that we have - as long as the audits are carried out by a qualified H&S professional. To close out a management system would make it become stagnant. Continuous improvement is the main purpose of management systems and therefore they are continuously evolving. Merry Christmas to all reading the forum. With kind regards, Laura
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 December 2002 21:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle you audit.... assess... develop action plans.... issue corrective actions.... monitor.... review..... improve.... you audit.....etc