Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2002 21:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc Can anyone decipher whether section 34 of the Act deals with recycling schemes (not recycling receivers). I have a company that collects its used drinks cans and takes them to the local can bank, which I think is fairly environmentally correct. The duty holder of the premises they lease has conducted an environmental audit and told the company they must have a waste licence for the transport of these cans to the can bank. I have read through the Act and I believe that strictly speaking the cans should be classed as waste according to the appendix. However the intimation from the first few paragraphs is that it is only a waste if it is likely to be harmful to the environment. As they are recycling surely this must be better that binning them. Does anyone have any thoughts, or could you clarify the Act for me.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2002 08:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Overbury Nigel My understanding (which may be mistaken of course!) of the situation is as follows: 1/ The waste drinks cans are considered to be household waste and therefore Controlled Waste. 2/ Any person carrying Controlled Waste may only do so if registered as a waste carrier - unless exempt from registration! 3/ One exemption is that the person is carrying their own waste (although I believe that this exemption does not cover buiding/demolition waste). If in doubt, check with the waste licensing section of your local Environment Agency office. (I keep reasonably regular contact with our office and find them really helpful!) Hope this helps but would look forward to other opinions etc. Wishing all Discussion Forum users Season's Greetings. Tony Overbury
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2002 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Tony Not quite right All COMMERCIAL waste is controlled and therefore any transfers from one party to another must be by virtue of the Duty of Care Note - This means that the transfer to someone's can bank must be covered by a transfer note, though this can be an annual note if necessary. If the cans arise domestically then this requirement does not apply, although the can bank does need to have their own arrangements in place as a "transfer station". The transfer is concerned with control of final disposal, and the movements, and from this arises the fact that companies can use their own vehicles to move waste from A to B without documentation - but will need to have documentation transferring control to say a tip or A.N.Other. Does this help? Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2002 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc Thanks for the help guys. I have contacted the environment agency, and they have informed me that as the company is only transporting its own waste and not for profit, that there is no need for any sort of licence or registration. They added that if the company took another companies waste or were selling the cans then they would need a licence. Again, many thanks and happy xmas