Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2005 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ROY DUDLEY
Can anyone help with a potential organisational change.
What level of competency would a manager need to oversee / manage factory services re
Steam, High pressure hot water, compressed air? Manager needs to ensure contractors are fullfilling their legal obligations regards to E.H.S.
Is there any specific Guidance or legislation set out by H.SE ?

Thanking you in anticipation Roy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2005 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Roy

Very pertinent question at this moment with the Barrow prosecution. Here we have an architect making decisions concerning the ongoing maintenance of a wet cooling system - The regular maintenace contract was cancelled Resulting in 7 legionella deaths.

The competencies required have to be related to a degree of engineering knowledge concerning maintenance and potential failures. The H&S may well be provided by others to inform decisions

The results of the case will make us all review this thorny issue

Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2005 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rakesh Maharaj
Roy,

There are essentially two fundamental issues at play here. Firstly, the point on organisational change requires further elaboration. In order to provide my 2p's worth, I would need to know more about:
1. What is it that is being changed?
2. Why?
3. What are the desired outcomes?
4. How does the intended change improve the current situation?

Secondly, sector specific guidance on management competence in health and safety has never been published. Without delving into the reasons for this, may I suggest that you identify all the job tasks that you expect your manager(s) to undertake. From this 'job description' you could easily assess whether managers have had the training to discharge these tasks.

I always find that by following similar approaches companies often develop their own 'in-house' competency standards. Once these standards are approved and enforced, then job tasks are always undertaken in the most effective fashion enabling all members of the team to understand the effect of their job-tasks on their colleagues, direct reports and line managers.

I hope this helps.

R