Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2006 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glynn Carty Hi I am in a dilemma about how best to title role in my organisation. I would like to get the maximum effect from the position by ensuring the position is taken seriously but also not wanting to detract from the fact that line management are responsible for health and safety... Thoughts so far: Health and Safety Manager Health and Safety Advisor Health and Softy Leader Does anyone have any advice?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2006 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart Definately go for "Health and Softy Leader". Seriously though I would consider Health and Safety Co-ordinator.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2006 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Sandler CMIOSH just say you are employed, misunderstood, overworked and under paid safety advisor, you advise only,and when it come to the weekend you enjoy the fact that the employees are enjoying their weekends as well. Regards
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2006 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Kimmins I'm not sure title matters. The key is not to say, "I'm not responsible, it's a line management responsibility". You're being paid the same as everyone else, it's everybody’s' responsibility including yours. If others don't see that then you have a responsibility to earn your pay and help them by integrating safety into their business. Personally I prefer the title 'Manager' over 'Advisor' as that shows a company commitment to safety by making it a function of the management team. Again, safety people who call themselves 'advisor' are quite happy to cleanse their conscious and say, “well I told them that was unsafe but they took no notice, but I'm only here to give advice”. Now, I'm sure I will be chastised for my perception, but the good thing about perceptions is they are personal, can't be wrong and I'm entitled to have it ;-)
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2006 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher Glynn What about "Nurse"? Florence Nightingale famously stated "Let whoever is in charge keep this simple question in their head - Not how can I always do this right thing myself, but how can I provide for this right thing to be always done." Is not that what we should be about, making sure that those that are responsible can deliver? Bill
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2006 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Sandler CMIOSH In these days of no blamme just call yourself non-stick, can not use registered trade name, like the rest of the management,
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2006 16:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ITK I would only go for the title "Health and Safety Manager" if you have a budget to be able to manage Health and Safety If you are purely there to advise without a budget then go for "Health and Safety Adviser".
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2006 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews I definately agree with ITK if you have control of the H&S budget then H&S Manager. If not then H&S Advisor or H&S Officer. Richard
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2006 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By kanta Definitely not health and softy maanger.People will walk all over you !
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2006 18:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyson1967 When I was given my first H&S Role I could choose my title too, I chose Manager until it was pointed out to me that I gave advice only and had no sub-ordinates, therefore what exactly do I manage? When it was put that way I had to agree BUT I had 2 sets of business cards printed at the request of the MD, HSE Advisor for internal business (we were part of a large group) and HSE Manager for external business. 5 years on, i'm now known as EHS Manager at another company, the responsibility is still the same but now I have someone working for me. In my view, titles mean nothing, it's all down to how you conduct yourself and get your message across to the company.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2006 19:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran J Duignan Well done, Glyn You've done well to invite suggestions about a matter with potential that is so easily taken for granted. Continue as you've started. Give yourself the title 'Safety Coach' and live up to the claim
Admin  
#12 Posted : 13 February 2006 19:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp I still think for most of us Stealth and Hasty is nearer the mark! Ray
Admin  
#13 Posted : 13 February 2006 19:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris T The problem with manager in the title is that line managers will think that you are responsible for managing safety not them.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 13 February 2006 19:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie What about "Health and Safety Practitioner"??
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 February 2006 20:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mr T Wilcock How is it possible to be in a 'dilemma ' over what you could call yourself at work? If that is all you have to give yourself concern you must be in a very fortunate position...............
Admin  
#16 Posted : 14 February 2006 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By J. Robin Gatenby What ever you do - don't end up with the title one of my previous MD's suggested: Safety, Health and Environment Manager or "SHE Manager" - I did have staff and a budget but not a harem!!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 14 February 2006 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By garyOrange who cares, just call yourself what you want.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 14 February 2006 17:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glynn Carty Thanks all for your input, however I seem to have miss-communicated slightly. I am actually trying to come up with a title for 2 subordinate employees. My title is Head of EHS and in this position I see my self as the EHS Manager. Therefore I do not want to call them EHS Manager but I need to give them a title, which is appropriate. In doing this I have the dilemma as earlier explained. I think it is important to get this right. Thanks
Admin  
#19 Posted : 15 February 2006 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins Glynn, Call yourself EHS Director, then you can call your two staff EHS Managers. They do the work and you 'direct' them... Alan
Admin  
#20 Posted : 15 February 2006 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John McFeely I usually get called MUG!
Admin  
#21 Posted : 15 February 2006 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By garyOrange Glyn In our organisation we have a Head of HS&E and then we have three regional HS&E Advisors. Why not call them EHS Advisors. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think. Gaz
Admin  
#22 Posted : 15 February 2006 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Mace Directors in my organisation have several titles for me 1) Tony 2) Group Business Systems Manager (external correspondence) 3) Group Health and Safety Manager (internal correspondence) 4) Group Environmental Manager (External and Internal Corresondence) 5) Tea Boy ( and i am nearly forty) Personally i prefer Group Health and Safety Coordinator, Thats what we really do coordinate other peoples actions, whether by training or instruction or EDICT! Why Not call them Assisstant EHS Managers. regards
Admin  
#23 Posted : 15 February 2006 23:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brett Day John, I've been called many things (especially on site) but most of then are not repeatable in polite company !!
Admin  
#24 Posted : 17 February 2006 22:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dan dan Go something different try Risk Manager
Admin  
#25 Posted : 18 February 2006 00:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mr T Wilcock try this one General Environmental Training Officer Utilising Task Managers Overseeing Risk Evaluations. The acronym for this would be very interesting on your cv. No i have nothing better to do this time of night..............
Admin  
#26 Posted : 19 February 2006 17:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Brunskill Go for Health and Safety Director, appoint yourself to the board and give yourself a pay rise.
Admin  
#27 Posted : 20 February 2006 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond I agree entirely with David Kimmin's comment. I think we are responsible for influencing and persisting with persuading managers and directors to make correct H&S decisions. All too often I hear people say, "I gave them the correct advice, if they choose to ignore it, that's their problem". Having said that, I was called 'Health & Safety Manager', and was concerned that people would assume I was responsible for line-management decisions - especially at a Coroner's hearing. So, I asked to change it to 'H&S advisor'. Since then, everyone has told me (People outside the H&S profession) that it was a bad decision and that it does not sound as important! - so I have reverted to calling myself 'H&S Manager' much of the time. This is an interesting thread Glynn, I don't think you will find a perfect answer to this one. I think "Health & Safety Management Systems Adviser" would be more accurate but this would be too much of a mouthful! Incidentally, is it H&S Adviser or H&S Advisor?
Admin  
#28 Posted : 14 March 2006 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By vessence Hello Glynn, have you ever been in Bulgaria?
Admin  
#29 Posted : 14 March 2006 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By J Knight Hi Glyn, Why compromise? Nothing less than Chief Executive, if you ask me. Don't agree with the bit about the budget; H&S spend should always be an operational line management resposnibility, Manager in my title just means that I get to tell people what to do, John
Admin  
#30 Posted : 14 March 2006 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman When I started in this trade my job title was Risk Management Co-ordinator. Next time around it was Head of HS&E department. Actually, department consisted of me and the nurse. Speaking of giving yourself a pay rise, have you heard about the correlation between the size/quality/cost of the car run by the senior company safety person and the company accident rate ? Where that person is low level and low paid, they run a cheap car and have little power to influence the accident rate. A "group EHS Manager" or even "Director" is probably very well paid (ok, better, can run a much better class of banger and is more able (if competent and at that level they should be) to influence the quality of an HS&E programme. Unfortunately, providing a jaguar to the foreman level safety person seems to have little or no effect on the company accident rate. But why not try out the suggestion on your boss ? I go for manager or advisor. Not responsible.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 14 March 2006 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stevehaigh Does anyone have any advice? Yep, that sounds good to me.