Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2006 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark R. Devlin Hello Folks, Does the health and safety policy HAVE to be signed by hand? The HASAWA Act says the following: "Except in such cases as may be prescribed, it shall be the duty of every employer to prepare and as often as may be appropriate revise a written statement of his general policy with respect to the health and safety at work of his employees and the organisation and arrangements for the time being in force for carrying out that policy, and to bring the statement and any revision of it to the notice of all of his employees." - no mention of signature OHSAS 18001 asks that the policy be "Authorized" Have I missed something? Cheers
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2006 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Breezy Mark, I would say no... as long as it has been approved by the highest level (e.g. CEO). The trick is, how can you demonstrate this? I understand that a signature is the normal method, though I guess an electronic signature (or fingerprint!?) is equally acceptable, providing it cannot be forged.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2006 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Does the policy need to be signed, in my opinion that’s a yes after all the HSE small business policy leaflet stating your business has a signature and date field so it implies that policy documents should be signed. As for 18001 it’s a standard and not a law. Therefore it holds no legal status so it’s irrelevant how it words things. Ash
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2006 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Beales Mark Leaving aside any legal requirements, the policy serves in one respect as an important commitment by senior management to health and safety. Putting a signature to the statement of intent indicates that, at least on paper, there is an individual who has 'signed up' to the various assurances contained in that statement. A signature is also a clearly visible sign of authorisation and one hopes that at least in some instances, the person who signs the statement actually reads it. As for the rest of the policy....!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2006 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tabs In pratical terms, it should carry the senior name as proof to those employees reading it that it is coming from the top - and not from the Safety Office alone. Anyone seeing that prominantly displayed in a workplace would have to assume that senior management have seen it and would have challanged it if their name was on there without their consent (as thus authorization). An inspector or auditor would (should) be more interested in the date of issue and whether it showed itself as current policy. All that said, I would always prefer to see it signed ;-)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2006 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Breezy Ditto, Tabs It's always good to physically see a signature and be able to identify someone. But I would not have too much of an issue if for example the company stamp was used instead... providing that it was not readily accessible.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2006 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jackdaw I think the simple answer is that the 'law' does not say that the policy statement has to be signed by anyone. It is usually seen as good practice, and I'm sure it is common practice in many organisations. So, the choice is yours. As has been stated above, however, it must be agreed by the senior management team of the organisation. How will people know they have agreed it? Well they can ask them.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2006 17:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I ask for the site manager to write, in his/her own words (often ghosted by H&S) HIS/HER safety policy. Under the printed policy they often add a few handwritten words. The content and meaning of the policy is then cascaded down through management and supervision. Participants at such communication meetings are asked to sign a "presence" sheet. This does not mean acknowledgement, understanding or acceptance. However, the policy, for me, should be in simple, easy to understand language. "Lawyer speak" should be avoided. Don't talk Guardian (Grauniad?)when you have Sun listeners; "Yeah, they told me, I even read it. And I signed it. But no-one actually explained it to me" The examples I have which have been signed "The board of Directors" or "The Management" are excruciatingly bum-covering. Merv