Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2009 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Moore

I have read BS EN 50172:2004/BS 5266-8:2004 for guidance on the frequency of Emergency Lighting Testing and can only find a reference to Daily/Weekly/Monthly and Annual testing needs. There are no references of a 6 monthly requirements for partial testing of 3 hour systems - many companies quote this test as a requirement but I cannot find the evidence to support it.

My question is that for emergency lighting systems is there a requirement to carry out a drain test for at least one hour (one third) on 3 hour rated systems every 6 months? And if the requirement exists where can I find the reference to support it?

Thanks in advance.

Mick
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2009 19:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Safety officer
BS5266.1:1999 reads

"Six monthly test of self contained and central battery systems by simulation of a failure of the normal lighting supply, for a continuous period of one hour. During the test check all luminaries for proper function."
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2009 01:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Moore
The BS5266-1:1999 has been superceeded by BS5266-1:2005 and the 6-monthly requiremnt appears to be removed (don't know why?). Are there any other standards referencing the need for a six-monthly test?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2009 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Safety officer
Not that I know of.