Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 May 2009 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin H I am trying to obtain a copy of HSG 43 Industrial Robot Safety, but it appears it is out of print (and cannot be ordered). HSE Books dont have any. A Google search resulted in no available copies. Does anyone have one they may wish to part with?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 May 2009 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie I have emailed you a copy
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2009 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By IOSH Moderator A word of caution from your friendly neighbourhood Moderator. So far as I can ascertain, when a work goes out of print this does not cause the copyright to evaporate. Copyright eventually lapses after a considerable number of years after an author's death, for instance. Out of print HSE works, such as HSG43, for instance, are often still available via some of the subscription services such as Technical Indices. You can, of course, freely give away a printed copy that you purchased. However, sending on an electronic copy is quite likely to be an infringement of copyright. Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2009 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By GeoffB4 Moderator: How about asking the HSE that question rather than passing your own opinion - after all, you might have got it wrong. I simply cannot see the HSE objecting to the copying of an out of print book for non- commercial gain.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2009 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin H My apologies. I was actually after a printed copy, rather than an electronic one. I would still be interested if someone has a paperback.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2009 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By clairel If you don't mind me saying, that sounds a bit suspicious, saying you don't want an electronic copy. I assume then that it is not the information inside that you after?. Care to elaborate? (By the way, I have a copy and you're not having it it!)
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2009 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin H No problem Claire. We are changing insurance companies for our LOLER inspections, so I am updating my list. Since the last inspection, we have had two robots installed, one of which is performing a lifting operation and one (in my view) is not. I currently have a manager attending a NEBOSH General Certificate course. He mentioned the robots yesterday, and it was suggested to him that as well as looking at the LOLER documentation, we also look at HSG43. We dont mind having an electronic copy - as long as it doesnt breach copyright. In addition, if we end up having discussions with the insurance company, I would rather refer to a legally obtained book. Does it still seem suspicious to you, Claire, or have I answered all your questions?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2009 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By clairel It was one question. And a valid one at that I thought. However, I really doubt the insurance company will give a monkey where you got a copy from.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 May 2009 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By GaryC40 Clairel - would you care to expand why this sounds suspicious? I'm struggling to come up with significant clandestine reasons for requesting a hard copy of an out of print HSE document. Maybe i'm just too naive and trusting! Spiesrus
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 May 2009 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By TonyB Martin (and all) Just for information. Many of the online resourses like 'tech index' keep e-versions of out of date/publication documents. Therefore you can legally obtain a copy if you're a member. All the best, TonyB
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 May 2009 07:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By IOSH Moderator Geoff - you may be right that the HSE would not object to people passing on out of print material in electronic format. However, the electronic copies are largely in the hands of those who charge subscriptions, such as Technical Indices, and this is a source of revenue for themselves. They may not be so happy to allow people to send on copies. If people want to share such material it is their responsibility to make enquiries to seek permission. It is the Moderators' job to point out the pitfalls. Out of print does not equate to out of copyright. Jane
Admin  
#12 Posted : 11 May 2009 18:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By GeoffB4 Jane, I know this is going to sound rude (not meant to be, simply lateral thinking), but I simply do not believe it is your job as a moderator to point this out. It is already written down on the forum and we are, after all, mainly knowledgeable professional adults.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 11 May 2009 19:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter But, Geoff, many posters clearly haven't read or, if they have, they choose to ignore the acceptable use guidelines. Paul
Admin  
#14 Posted : 11 May 2009 19:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CFT Geoff With respect - and it is not my intention to appear rude either; but why do you constantly feel the need to challenge posts - quite so frequently? Surely the response in question was made for the benefit of anyone who may not have been able to comprehend general copyright restrictions? Something the moderators have to remind us of all too often.? On that basis it would seem to me that the moderator was, on this occasion quite correct to do. CFT
JakeIOSH  
#15 Posted : 26 July 2021 21:52:18(UTC)
JakeIOSH

Rekindling a topic! Does anyone have a PDF of HSG43 they could send me please? Thanks in advance and I hope this gets seen 🀞🀞🀞
chris.packham  
#16 Posted : 27 July 2021 06:48:38(UTC)
chris.packham

Does the fact that with many of the HSE documents you have the choice, either to purchase or to download a PDF for free not affect the situation regarding copyright and passing on the electronic copy that you have downloaded? 

Kate  
#17 Posted : 27 July 2021 07:16:27(UTC)
Kate

I don't have this but do have a suggestion.  There are free internet archive services such as Wayback Machine that allow you to recover web pages that no longer exist or have changed.  You might be able to retrieve it that way.

A Kurdziel  
#18 Posted : 27 July 2021 08:35:18(UTC)
A Kurdziel

HSE documents have Crown Copyright which means that the copyright belongs to Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second. I reality, as she, probably isn’t that bother, it’s controlled by Her Stationery Office(TSO). As far as government guidance etc is concerned, there is a public licence which allows  taxpayers to make copies etc more or less at will as long you are not taking the micky. So old documents can be copied and passed on freely.   The TSO charges for hard copies but that is only meant to cover printing costs, not make a massive profit for Her Majesty.   

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 27/07/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#19 Posted : 27 July 2021 12:47:01(UTC)
peter gotch

Before sharing anything subject to Crown Copyright you have to comply with the terms of the current Open Government Licence.

For HSE publications that means acknowledging that copyright, referring to the correct Licence and NOT copying the HSE logo (unless the rules have changed recently).

So, it's usually easier to extract parts of a document and then put in something like:

"Contains public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government Licence"

P

Roundtuit  
#20 Posted : 27 July 2021 16:48:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: JakeIOSH Go to Quoted Post
Rekindling a topic! Does anyone have a PDF of HSG43 they could send me please? Thanks in advance and I hope this gets seen 🀞🀞🀞
Certainly spread your request for an out of date document widely throughout the forums
Roundtuit  
#21 Posted : 27 July 2021 16:48:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: JakeIOSH Go to Quoted Post
Certainly spread your request for an out of date document widely throughout the forums