Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2009 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chas I am being told that the hot water temperature for the washing up sinks in a commercial kitchen should (must)be 60 degrees C. I do not profess to know much about catering H&S so I would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me and tell me if this is correct. If so where does it say so. Thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2009 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martinw Chas you know more about this than I do, but I read years ago in L8 the ACOP for control of Legionella that water should be kept either below 20 C or above 60 C tp reduce legionella bacterial growth. Maybe that is where your advice is coming from. Help anyone?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2009 15:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee A Hi Chas, I think you need to check the actual wording of the advice that you have been given with regards to the temperature. Unless there is something specific with regards to commercial kitchens, I think that L8 applies here. Bacteria multiplies between 20-45 Celsius, standard control methods for this is to store below 20C and above 60C with a distribution temp above 50C. Some commercial buildings with a re-circulating system incorporate calorifiers to ensure hot water on demand, the temperature on return to the calorifier has to be at least 50C. All the temperatures are to prevent the growth of the legionella bacteria hence storing above 60C. Hence my first comment, check the advice you have been given, 60C at sink? I think it should be at storage. Hope this helps. Lee
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2009 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martinw Having looked again I saw a few examples of HSE enforcement when water at sinks was 60 C or above due to the water being too hot for hand washing/risk of scalding. So Lee - spot on.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2009 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham I think that there is some confusion between the water in the pipework and in the sink. The water in the pipework needs to be kept above a temperature at which legionella can multiply. Water in the sink should be at a much lower temperature as at 60 deg it would increase the probability of skin damage and dermatitis. Chris
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2009 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chas I am looking to reduce the temp at the sink outlet to 50 deg.C in order to prevent scalding, however I am being led to believe that the washing up sink outlet should reach 60 deg.C to aid with degreasing/washing the cutlery/plates etc. I do not want to reduce the temp if there is guidance or a catering related Regulation to say that it should be 60 deg.C. I suspect I am being led up the garden path but I want to make sure I am in the right. Thanks for the comments so far.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 July 2009 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham Most modern dishwashing liquids are formulated to work at lower temperatures that you have stipulated. Presumably those doing the work will be wearing gloves. Although these might provide a slight insulation against hot water, the temperature inside the glove will increase the potential for skin damage, potentially leading to irritant contact dermatitis. Remember that hands inside occlusive gloves are particularly vulnerable and that your own sweat reabsorbed into the hyperhydrated skin of the hands can trigger a skin reaction. So the water should be no hotter than is needed to remove the grease, etc. from the items being washed. I would suggest you contact the supplier of the dishwashing liquid you are using to establish what they consider to be the optimum temperature. Chris
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2009 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Larry 60 degrees sounds correct to me. By lowering the temperature I would be concerned over the sterilisation of your pots and pans. Washing up liquid may make the pots look clean but bacteria may still be apparent and cause health risks. Washing up liquid is normally a de-greasing agent only, not a sterilisation fluid. Obviously you have to balance the risk of scalding employees hands with the risk of ensuring compliance with food hygiene. Larry's advice is to either: 1. Contact local environmental health guru for advice or. 2. Get a dishwasher that will heat to 73 degrees to ensure sterilisation. Legionella is a red herring in Larry's opinion and not normally a concern if you have a steady water flow rate which I would suspect you do in a commercial kitchen.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 July 2009 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham 60 deg is unlikely to sterilise any pots and pans, particularly given the relatively short contact time. 60 deg will increase the risk of workers developing skin problems, particularly where occlusive gloves are being worn. This could put the employer in breach of his legal duties to protect the health of his workers. Chris
Admin  
#10 Posted : 14 July 2009 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Chas It is question of balancing the needs of H&S against the food hygiene requirements. The water will need to be heated to comply with the requirements of L8 but equally there is a duty to ensure that the water system can deliver a product that does not increase the likelihood of food contamination. As 60 degrees is well within the ideal growth range for a whole range of food poisoning bacteria, it has always been the case that water for dishwashing in food premises is at such a temperature and used in conjunction with appropriate detergents that the risk of bacterial growth is minimised. It is worthy of note that 60 (nor 73 for that matter) will achieve sterilisation. The temperature, contact time, detergent (and/or sanitiser)used all go towards reducing bacterial growth but importantly they will depend on the method of providing washing up. Clearly if it manual, temperatures will need to be lower where hand immersion is an issue, if it mechanised the temperatures and contact times can be racked up .
Admin  
#11 Posted : 14 July 2009 17:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Larry Sorry Chas. Larry make typo error. 73C should have read 83C. That is the standard temperature for dishwashers in catering facilities. Normal temperature is only 69C for domestic appliances. Food sterilisation is different 121+C for canning, but dish washing is different.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 15 July 2009 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Sterilisation is a misnomer in this instance. To sterilise something implies that all known organisms including bacterial spores are killed. This cannot be achieved thermally below 100 degrees C. Temperatures below this achieve thermal disinfection which although will kill a large majority of food poisoning organisms will not destroy bacterial spores. It is here that the time temperature ratio applies, the higher the temperature the shorter the contact time - this is the same principle that is applied to pasteurisation, where for example HTST (high temperature, short term) is applied to the pasteurisation of liquid milk etc. A number of bacterial spores will survive boiling for many hours.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 15 July 2009 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MarcusB Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 requires adequate facilities to be provided for cleaning of 'working utensils'. This is a food hygiene issue rather than a health and safety issue. For health and safety, a person doing the washing up should wear suitable gloves to protect their hands from the hot water and cleaning chemicals. The water can be a higher temparature without risk of harm due to the gloves being worn. Before you ask about hand washing - remember that, for food hygiene reasons, washing up and hand washing should take place in separate sinks. As mentioned previously, legionella is not really a concern in a regularly used sink.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 15 July 2009 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham Marcus Re gloves just keep in mind that for the skin the wearing of gloves is equivalent to having your hands in water. In Germany this is part of a regulation (TRGS401) requiring special precautions if occlusive gloves have to be worn for more than 4 hours in total in an 8 hour shift. Hot water will increase the effect of occlusion on the skin. This makes the skin particularly vulnerable. When the gloves are removed it can take a considerable time (up to 2 hours in some cases) for the skin to recover its normal barrier properties. So after the gloves are removed we may need to take this into consideration when looking at what that person can do immediately afterwards. The hot water will cause sweating inside the gloves and this can and lead to irritant contact dermatitis. Heat also damages the lamellar layer in the stratum corneum, making the skin more vulnerable to damage. This is why hands should only ever be washed in lukewarm water. So for health and safety reasons, i.e. to protect the worker, water temperature should be no higher than is really necessary to provide the cleaning effect required. Chris
Admin  
#15 Posted : 15 July 2009 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MarcusB Chris Reading back over my last post, I see I worded it in a way that suggested that wearing gloves removed all risk from the water. I didn't mean to imply that was the case. There is still a risk and a balance needs to be made between food hygiene and health and safety.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 15 July 2009 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Baldy Hi Chas, To answer your question in short, there is no 'legal' temperature stated for washing up in any food hygeine legislation. You are being led up that path. Regards Paul (EHO).