Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2002 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Is it my imagination, or is there a slow movement towards degradation of Safety Committees? Over the last two years, with two different employers, I have seen attempts to change the minutes because management didn't like what had been said, attempts to reduce the number of meetings to less than four a year, attempts to hold a meeting when more than half the workforce, including 50% of union safety reps, are on holiday, and dates of meetings changed at short notice because management members are on holiday. I managed to resist all except the last, but have I had bad luck, or have others experienced similar moves? Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2002 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster The rules governing the conduct of our H&S Committee are drawn up in the form of a Constitution which is then approved by the Board. This ensures arbitary changes cannot be made. Meeting dates are set a year in advance, and all members are obliged to attend or send a deputy. Who checks minutes, and how & when they are distributed are all laid down. It also means that the committee has the full backing of the board of directors, which is as it should be. John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2002 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne As John says, the way to stop this happening is to have a robust constitution for the committee. To get this to happen you need strong management backup - I would guess that this is lacking where you are hence your problems. Is there a Director/senior manager in your organisation who has responsibilities in H&S matters? If so that person needs to be alerted to this problem with the committee and asked to provide some strong leadership.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 May 2002 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard You're right of course, Diane. In both cases all of the points I gave came from the senior board member with responsibility for H&S, trying to save time and money as usual. All one can do is cover your back, aka MYO!! Richard
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 May 2002 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large Sounds to me like a culture problem. I'd try to get to get the full costs of accidents across to this director. Also, sometimes it sharpens the mind of people if they realize they can personally be prosecuted for management failures that lead to accidents (albeit unlikely). That is often a lot more motivating than 'it will cost the company'. Consultation is a valuable tool for avoiding problems before they happen and so its in his interest.