Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2002 17:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Hi Everyone, My boss has asked me to track down companies within the UK who operate to 'World Class' in H&S management practices in order that we may pay them a visit to get ideas etc. Apart from obvious ones like Du Pont, does anyone work for or know of any such companies that would be willing to share their experience. Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2002 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher Paul Try BNFL at Sellafield Bill
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2002 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Try BP as they follow and have adapted many Dupont systems. I also have Peter McKie's, former MD Dupont, e-mail address and can supply this separately if required. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2002 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large Was that BNFL suggestion genuine? Perhaps they have changed but I still remember a news report which stated they regularly went against their own saftey systems.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2002 22:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram What follows are personal impressions, passed on in the spirit you asked - i.e. possible places to make contact and visit. I'm sure there are many others just as good with whom I have had no personal contact. I endorse what is said about BP. From evidence at Ladbroke Grove Inquiry, Eurotunnel are pretty good, also London Underground. The various ICI heritage companies have high quality global systems, ABB are also strong. From limited evidence, I think Diageo (ex-Guinness) would be worth a look - especially on health promotion, treatment and rehabilitation. BA (and many other airlines) are good on training and human factors, teamwork, etc. in relation to flight safety (not sure about ground-based activities) and Dept. Transport Air Accident Investigation Branch are world-class on accident investigation. Esso Fawley have an excellent record, have pioneered great training for supervisors. BAA have consistent risk identification processes from top to bottom (or vice versa!) of their organisation. If your MD wants some personal exposure, he should be at the HSC-organised Stakeholder Conference at Westminster on 29th May. Good luck in your search.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2002 19:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2002 00:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Why are people picking on BNFL? So they have mad a few cock-ups resulting in 2 prosecutions. To be honest so have Du Pont companies like this example taken from the HSE Prosecutions Database : - Du Pont Automotive Coatings (U.K.) Ltd Summary PR following fatal accident involving fire during cleaning of paint mixing tank. Risk assessment not suitable and safe system of work not used. Guilty plea by Defendant in Magerstrates Court. Sent to Crown Court for sentence which was £12,500 on each case plus full costs. Offence Date 15/06/98 Total Fine £25,000.00 Total Costs Awarded to HSE £19,901.00 Does this mean that Du Ponts safety systems are twice as good or only half as bad as BNFL? Ashley
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2002 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The real problem is that people have accidents and at root it is the actions, or lack of, by people that cause around 90% of accidents. The best system and culture in the world is still not going to eliminate everything. Every action we take is both safe and unsafe at one and the same time. The proposition of World Class H&S practice is that a change in the culture to what is a recognition of 'interdependency' can create a step change in the actions of people. This culture is contrasted to the Dependent where people are told to follow rules they may not understand and Independent where each individual follows the rules and understands the reasons for their existence. The Interdependent position recognises that we are all not simply looking out for ourselves but others. This is extended to safety off the job not just on it. Another characteristic is the expectation of zero accidents as opposed to a target, or hope!!Beneath all of this is the work of the Brazilian education theorist P. Freire who used the terms - Banking and Independent to describe the cultures of control and liberated for interdependency. In summation the having of an accident does not negate world class if it is used fully as a learning experience. Bob